Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the tank, powerhead, and especially how much CO2 you're injecting. It's better for low volumes.
It's a 55g I use a mixture of 6c sugar 6c water and 1 1/2tsp active dry yeast in a gallin grape juice container with the maxi-jet 900 powerhead(I wish the impeller wasn't so loud with it set up as a wavemaker I'd rather flow 900gph then pump almost 300gph but its so loud I felt ban for the fish so I just use the quieter powerhead setup.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and that pic of the mist I shook the bottle so you could actually see something it was pumping about 15-20bps for about 10 seconds poor fish prob suffocated for a few seconds whoops but I usually keep it at 1bps for the first 3 weeks and then 2bps for 2 weeks and 3bps for a week before I change it. And if its really cold inside like it was last week ill stick a hothands toe warmer to the side of it to keep the yeast at the proper temp to do its thing.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
I've heard that type of reactor called a "Barr internal reactor" before, or something along those line. It's essentially a Rex Grigg reactor in the tank rather than inline. The bioballs are probably unnecessary but some people like to use them, and they're probably not hurting anything. You can remove them fairly easily if you wanted to mess around with it.

That should get you better diffusion than running directly into a powerhead. It should be near 100% when running optimally.
well im glad someone else has heard of it :P yeah i was not sure about the bio balls, just saw them being used in a aquamed reactor (with $115 price tag lol) and its seemed like a good idea, i had some laying around anyways. and id say im getting close to 95% diffusion with a few very small bubbles reaching the surface a second. maybe ill try to lower the GPH on my powerhead so the bubbles will stay in the tube a bit longer.

i was porting my Co2 directly into a powerhead with a regular air stone, and i was losing 70% of my co2 and could not get my ph down past 7.5 (PH controller set to 7.2) and that was with 6 BPS!

anyways i think ill keep it and cover it up with the driftwood in my tank when i rescape everything tomorrow and add more driftwood
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To improve on your design, I would suggest moving the stone, where the CO2 enters the reactor chamber to the top, in the blue bell. This way, all the CO2 that enters your reactor has to pass over all the biostars before it is carried into the tank, allowing for greater diffusion. Also, I don't know that your stone is completely necessary - but it looks like its working with the stone in there, so just move it up above all the stars.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

The bubbles wont go down until they're so small that they're not buoyant enough to overcome the downward current from the powerhead. Because of this, it doesn't really matter so much where they're injected. I do agree that the stone is probably not necessary.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phin View Post
To improve on your design, I would suggest moving the stone, where the CO2 enters the reactor chamber to the top, in the blue bell. This way, all the CO2 that enters your reactor has to pass over all the biostars before it is carried into the tank, allowing for greater diffusion. Also, I don't know that your stone is completely necessary - but it looks like its working with the stone in there, so just move it up above all the stars.
wouldnt having the stone at the top defeat the purpose of his reactor? i dont know much about that type of setup so im learning something new here
and the co2 bubbles should sink??? huih
Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
wouldnt having the stone at the top defeat the purpose of his reactor? i dont know much about that type of setup so im learning something new here
and the co2 bubbles should sink??? huh
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
and the co2 bubbles should sink??? huh
You are right. I looked at the configuration again and the water flows from the bottom of the tube, out the top. The powerhead is pulling the water through the reactor. Initially, I saw it as the powerhead pushing the water through from the top to the bottom.

If you have water flowing from top to bottom, and the bubbles injected at the top of the reactor so water flow and CO2 are working against each other, CO2 will stay in the reactor longer, leading to greater diffusion.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:

You are right. I looked at the configuration again and the water flows from the bottom of the tube, out the top. The powerhead is pulling the water through the reactor. Initially, I saw it as the powerhead pushing the water through from the top to the bottom.
If it's set up like you described, then it's set up wrong.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have it set up with the power head pushing water into the reactor, with this set up the bubbles from the air stone rise to the top and are pushed back down then up again until they are small enough to be pushed out the bottom of the tube through the sponge

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com