Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DIY Co2 Reactor

i made this the other night and it is by no means an original design, i found a drawing of something similar from another website, anyways i was wondering if anyone has any insight on these and whether this looks correct or any improvements that can be made.

also i know its ugly, will be put in the back and covered with plants once im satisfied its working correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0217.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	161754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	161755  

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

unless u need the added bb you dont need all that. go to walgreens or whatever pharmacy ask for a 5ml doser the pharmasist at walgreens gave me 3 for free cut the top off stick a check valve in it ant put the nipple end right up to the cage on the inlet side of your powerhead i did that for my diy co2 on my 55 and it does better than my buddies 55 dollar diffuser ill post a link to a video of my setup for you later today

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well all the plastic stars are not for BB, its there to break up the bubbles into smaller bubbles, and the sponge at the bottom is there to break up the bubbles even more before they exit out the bottom. I've had an atomic atomizer that essentially created a Co2 mist in my tank, however i still had bubbles reaching the surface, and bubbles getting to the surface equals wasted Co2.

This is a reactor and im wanting to know if there is i way i can improve on this design, im not looking for diffusion methods.

thank you though. and i think ive seen others use hypodermic needles to diffuse Co2, quite interesting really.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh gotcha the way I got mine set up it chops up the bubbles so fine you can barley even see them. Here's a pic of what I did ignore the cloudy water I just got done doing a water change. And I shook up the bottle so it would blas co2 for the pic.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130324_221439.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	162147

Name:	ForumRunner_20130324_221709.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	162149

The medicine doser acts as a bubble counter and the little bug juice bottle is a sort of a reactor ish contraption
Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I origionally had mine set up similar to yours but found I didn't need all that crap in my tank.lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well that does seem to be working quite well, if i dont like how this reactor works i just might try that. thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem glad I could show you options
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I've heard that type of reactor called a "Barr internal reactor" before, or something along those line. It's essentially a Rex Grigg reactor in the tank rather than inline. The bioballs are probably unnecessary but some people like to use them, and they're probably not hurting anything. You can remove them fairly easily if you wanted to mess around with it.

That should get you better diffusion than running directly into a powerhead. It should be near 100% when running optimally.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
I've heard that type of reactor called a "Barr internal reactor" before, or something along those line. It's essentially a Rex Grigg reactor in the tank rather than inline. The bioballs are probably unnecessary but some people like to use them, and they're probably not hurting anything. You can remove them fairly easily if you wanted to mess around with it.

That should get you better diffusion than running directly into a powerhead. It should be near 100% when running optimally.
So your saying the mist my powerhead blasts throughout the tank is not getting 100% diffusion?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the tank, powerhead, and especially how much CO2 you're injecting. It's better for low volumes.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com