Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
DIY CO2 reactor question

OK, I know this subject has been pretty much exhausted at this point, but I'm about to make one, and have a question that I know someone has had some experience with.

I have left over 2” PVC from a home project that I would use. I know I want it on the output of my filter, and that the best way is to have the water flow down into it, and leave through the bottom, while the co2 comes in about 1/3 to ½ way up from the bottom.

Now, I’ve already cut my filter hoses, and if I can avoid spending more money than I have to that is a good thing. I also don’t want to impede the flow out of my pump. So I was wondering if I mounted it more horizontally instead of vertically, at say a 30 degree angle from true horizontal. Has anyone done this? Are they content with it?
I was planning on using about 20” length plus the adapters. Will this give the Co2 enough time to dissolve?

Aquarium: 55 gallon with 60 lbs fluorite 20 lbs gravel
Filtration: Eheim 2026 Pimp #168 with Fluval surface skimmer
Lighting: PC 130 watts of 6700k PCs 12hours, 130 watts 10K 4 hours.
Co2 suppl.: 10lb tank with Milwaukee al in one.
Flora:Java Moss, Water Sprite, Microsword, Anacharis, Water Primrose, Rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus x barthii, Bacopa monnieri
Fauna: 3 Sailfin Mollies, 8 Tiger barbs, 6 Cory Julii, 6 Ottos, 2 SAEs, 9 Amano shrimp.
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I am using a return pipe that is vertical, approx 3ft of pipe from the injection point, and it works great. I think you will be surprised at how good diffusion will be with vertical return in your setup. I have no first hand experience with a somewhat horizontal pipe but have not felt need to try it. hth
"2- before attempting to plant, have a beer or a Bourbon. That will help to steady your hands" -- elwaine

czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

co2, diy, diy co2, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com