Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might have read that wrong. I'm going to re-check the Fe in the morning.

And yes it's 10^(7-pH) (As many who have read my post may tell, I'm better at math then english.)

The math is explained a lot better in that site I listed.

I'm not famillure with Buffering the KH with baking soda, will that affect anything else?? Umm at the risk of sounding dumb....how do I do that? I'll go look around the site too.

45 Gallons of water if that helps.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

AHHH ok I'm miss-reading it's .10 PPM on the FE hehehe

Old 11-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

When you raise KH, pH will rise as well. You can add a weighted dose or by teaspoon, and many prefer to dissolve the baking soda before adding it to the tank. So lets say you slowly buffer up the tank (for the sake of your fish) to 3 dKH. Now you can inject 20ppm CO2 with a pH of 6.7. Having this saftey is good with DIY, so if your mix runs a little rich it will not drop pH very low. DIY CO2 in 45gal may never have this problem though.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you. I've found a page for helping with uping the PH but it didn't say what direction the PH went just that it adjusted it. This will make me fill a little better.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
czcz.. what did the krib say the formula was for baking soda? I forget now..lol
I would add a little extra baking soda to the DIY CO2 brew as well since the tap water seems to be so soft.. lucky you.. lol
Old 11-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

No lucky me. Ultra soft water sucks!!!! I'm testing out the baking soda in a smaller 10G tank that is currently home to a few tetras. I'm using a weighted scale and a site I found for my baking soda measurements. I figure once I get the fill of things I will love over to my larger tanks.

I've run into a minor problem sealing the caps, but I'm already working on correcting it. I just need a new drill bit.

Oh yea 100th Post HEHEHE!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

gm,

the krib says 1.1 tsp raises 50gal 1dKH: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/dosing.html

Linked calculator uses 1 tsp raises 50L 4dKH: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/waterchemistry.htm

I tried doing the conversion using percent mass and got .53 tsp raises 50gal 1dKH: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=baking#450197

Too lazy to delve deeper
HTH

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
ahhh.. but try to get KH and GH out of ultra hard water.. at least you can just buffer ultra soft water.. :P
Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

While I work out the details on the later reactor I want to make. I got a question about CO2 Bells.

Would using a length of PVC pipe cut in half 1" wide and 30 inches long capped at both sides. The edges of the pipe will be sanded down to as fine a finish as I can manage with Sandpaper 100 - 720 Grit.

I was thinking if the bell ran a longer length of the tank it would help lower the amount of CO2 super saturation? Plus I can place this behind my HOB filter (No waterfall effect, I keep the tank VERY full checking daily.) and use that movement to keep the CO2 circulated around the tank?

Status on the CO2 setup. I've got most of the supplies and have the design I want to use setup. I'm going to be using polyurathain tubing as it's not reactive with the CO2. Harder to work with but it works. I've desided against a single 4L and going to use 2x 2L with flow directors. about 5 inches past the out from the bottles so I can change them in alternating fashion like most people change filter media. After that I've got it going into a small 16oz bottle to work as a place for the gas seperate from anything that might have come threw from the generator bottles. I'm hopping this will help lower the amount of "gunk" getting stuck in the air stone in the defuser. Running between that bottle and the tank is a length of tubing with anther flow restricter then into the tank.

I've not completed anything past this and can't find my camara to take pictures. But I'll have pictures this weekend if I can.

I'm going to wait a few days after buffering my water's KH to 3 to make sure all my readings are stable. Make sure nothing else changes other then the KH and PH.

Currently my PH is 6.8. When I add the baking soda to Up my KH my PH will raise to above 7 to say 7.49 Then when I inject the CO2 it will lower the PH back down to around 7 I hope??

I'm just trying to get a more in-depth understanding of things before I kill my tetra's testing this.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

You are doing great. pH should head to 7 as you inject it, but it is okay if you drop below 7 to maintain high dissolved CO2.

I still think your ladder idea has more potential than the bell considering your CO2 source: you will always be producing gas so unless the bell design diffuses it as fast or faster, bubbles will escape anyway. I think you can also get more than 30" of ladder travel if wanted.

I strongly encourage you to look at powered reactors so you dont have to worry about diffusion

wet.biggiantnerds.com

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com