Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DIY CO2 with powerhead

i have been reading up about DIY CO2 systems, and i sort of understand it. I have a powerhead f ilter which takes in air and then blasts it out into my aquarium water to create aeration. I was wondering if it could be turned into a simple CO2 setup like my picture? would that set up work or is there other stuff i need in it?

also, does CO2 effect algae? the powerhead is my only source of aeration. if i do turn my powerhead aeration into part of a CO2 system, will i lose aeration? is CO2 a form of aeration?

thankyou for any help, please bear with me and my funny drawing, i quite don't know much about plants and that and about the names of the powerhead parts and about CO2 systems. 8O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2setup.gif
Views:	3658
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2086  

Old 04-21-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

btw, 24g tank, 2 x 20w fluro lights, getting plants in future

Old 04-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem is most of the CO2 will still go right to the surface as large bubbles, meaning you'll not get much dissolved in the water.
If you can attach a gravel vac tube to the output, so it keeps the bubbles spinning in a chamber of water for a longer period, you'll get better dissolve rates.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My plants are growing like crazy from my DIY CO2.... unfortunately, the Algae is growing faster.

Since adding CO2 i have a couple plants that became encased in algae (stag algae i think).
Old 04-21-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Connecting to venturi plug doesnt force siphon of bottle's contents? I thought siphon created from fast water flow is the same concept that powers Python? Just curious/TIA

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

czcz - good point. I've never used powerheads with venturi's (or I plug up the venturi) so you could be right, that it'll create too much suction.
However as long as the DIY canister can't collapse (use really thick plasic or glass jugs..no cheap 2liter Coke bottles) it should be ok.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wat is a venturi? should i plug it up? how to do that?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have no idea what a venturi is either - but I have a similar setup as you describe (2 litre bottle with a powerhead attached. It doesn't create enough suction to pull anything out - but I do have a smaller bottle in between the powerhead and the 2 litre bottles. I also have the check valves.
2 mollies (1 spotted & 1 black); 1 Zebra Danio; 2 Oto; 1 golden wonder killie; 2 Kuhlii loach; 2 SAE; 1 bumblebee cat; 2 upsidedown cats; 2 golden algae eaters
black udder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks, malkore.

In this case I meant venturi as the aeration hole you attach tubing to with some PH. Sucks air in because of fast water movement/low pressure, which goes through output. I thought this is what makes python work over long distances, and was inclined to think decent PH moved more gph than my faucet, but Im no fluid dynamics expert (just pick up what I can since entering hobby). Venturi attachment differs from powered diffuser/gravel vac designs I've seen in that the latter simply has compartment where water moved and output of diffuser is in same area mixing. Example: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm Thanks for info black udder. Sounds efficient if output of PH is then broken up with sponge/bioballs/gravel vac method per malkore's first post. I might try this later.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so my setup plan only has the CO2 source and the diffuser.

do i need a reactor between the powerhead and t he CO2 source? how does the reactor work? does the CO2 enter the reactor, and then go into the powerhead?what is a good DIY CO2 reactor i can make?

how do i stop suction? will the CO2 provide aeration?

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com