Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
DIY Coke Bottle Gravel Vac

So I saw somewhere that you can use a coke bottle as a gravel vac. I am wondering because I have a small 10gal under my 30 and cleaning it with my siphon vac is a pain as my gravel vac is too large for the small tank . Anyway anyone know how to make the vac correctly?

I was thinking cutting the bottle to correct length then drilling a hole in the cap slightly smaller then the hose and just pushing the hose in when I need to use it, or buy a male connector and glue it in for more of a finished porject. What do you all think?

richiestang_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I think your best bet would be to buy the male adapter and glue that to the cap. Sounds like a good idea, post some pics when you're done!

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried it out, seems to do alright, the suction could be stronger but it is the right size for a small low tank like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1278_822.jpg (154.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg img_1277_140.jpg (138.2 KB, 163 views)
richiestang_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
I have the same proplum But I went about a little differnt. At frist i thought it would be just as easy to make one myself also. But never could get it to suck as good as my reglur one did. So I went out and bought a new vacum and then took some masking tape and raped it around the pick up tube about 3inches from where the tubing attachs to it. then I took my hack saw and cut it right above the tape.
WHAW LAL a vacum cleaner short and with better sucktion power then it's big brother. It has double the pick up power of the full size one for some reason. Plus it gets under the catain plnts and around the heater and down tubes alot better. In the larger tanks. Just a little in put if the one you maded doesn't have the pick up or sucktion you like or want. Good luck with it.

bottle, diy, gravel, gravel vac

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com