Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
good to hear the chiller's still going strong! Bummer about the algae build up. I wond if there's a way to prevent that... of course, if we could figure out a way to prevent algae without harming the tank we'd be millionares wouldn't we?

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
DIY Chiller

I have 4 compact fluorescents - 2 actinic and 2 95,000k on a 90 gallon reef tank. The temperature of my aquarium was reaching 89F. The temperature was so high because we have a computerized thermostat for our home and the temperature in the house is allowed to go to 80F when we are gone for the day.

I placed a small fan to blow the heat from the lamps away from the tank and the temp went o 82F. I bought a swamp cooler and placed it to blow on 2 sides of the aquarium. At first there was no change and then I turned off the small fan and the temp went to 72F. The cooler was $140 and has an air filter. We get cooler, humidified, clean air to breath and our tank temperature is in the proper range.

I don't know what it costs to run the swamp cooler but it should not be much more than a fan. I have to add water about once per week. It makes a fan noise but it is not as loud as other fans.

mokelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Has anybody ever purchased a small refridgerator and then drilled holes in it to run lines. Then you could coil some line in the inside of the rfidg and pump water thru it. This would work and I think the cost would be less than a chiller. On top of that you could actually use the fridg for other things.

However the only issue would be temp control. YOu would need to buy a controller or devise a way for the system to operate only when needed. I guess you could somehow hook up a temp switch to control the pump going to the fridg. When above a specific temp pump comes on and when below pump goes off.

Jsut an idea I was thinking about. YOu could do a keg-er-ator and chiller fridg for your drinking and fishy keeping needs.
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
pretty sweet setup ya got there, now come make me one lol
I love my clown loaches and red tail shark!!! lol
tropicfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
If you have a UV sterilizer you could put it on this loop I would think.

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, chiller, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com