Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
DIY cooler chiller

this is it. everything under tank.i had nowhere to put my aquadose so i put 2 wood shims on top of the styrofoam to hold the weight of 2 1/2gal water,perfect.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I took the images from your gallery and linked them, rather than having it uploaded twice

You can edit to add any conentary to each pic.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Thats a great concept of for a low cost chiller.

Do you have ice water in the cooler?

What size pump do you have on it?

How many feet of tubing is in the cooler?

What has been your average temperature drop from this device?

How often do you have to replentish the cooler with chilled water?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

most of the details can be found in the original thread here

I think he mentioned it cost about $40 in parts.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can thank BillyZ he gave me the idea and i did my thing. only ice 2x8lbs bags. penguin power head 550 or 145gph 20ft of tubing. 78degrees is it. 2days the ice lasts.temp in tank was 84, got it to 78 steady.i have a ice maker in my freezer so the ice is free. got to say i had to suck on the hose to get the water going .so a bigger pump would be better,but the temp would also change. it still is working great walt
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:16 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Once the tubing is full your pump shouldn't need any assistance though hopefully. I had a thought/concern on this actualy. If you're not using the chiller regularly then the water in the tube could get stagnent. It would probably be a good idea to turn the pump on for 5-10 minutes every once in a while just to flush the water fromt he hose to keep it from getting stagnent.

Of course, if because of your lights etc you are having heat problems regularly, you could simply put the pump on a timer to turn on for 1-2 hours every day while the lights are on to help keep the temp down. This would also keep the water in the hose from getting stagnent.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i thought about the stagnent water and just kept the pump running. it's not giving off any heat and the refugium seems to like it. when i need to I'll just add abag of ice. your right about the hose filled with water,i can turn the pump on or off and it pumps perfectly.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
Old 04-20-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
wow, not to hijack this post but, I'm glad I live on the Central Coast in Cali ! Never in the 90's and never below the 40's....
Old 05-28-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
1SQ
Aquarium Advice Newbie

troutman

can you give me an update on you chiller? Are yous till using it, how long does the water stay cool? What size tank are you using this chiller to cool?
thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 12:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

the chiller is still working today.i did have to replace the tubing last month because the flow was really slow because the slime/alga in the tubing got to much. i run it all the time. now that summer is here i'm ready to put a bag of ice in. make sure the bag does not leak, it will make it easyer to change ice bags when needed. the water stays at 78 as long as the ice is in the cooler. i got 3 days on 8lbs of ice. my tank is a 75gal oceanic with the 20gal refugium.

Tags
chi, chiller, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com