Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Diy corner overflow

Hi this is my first time posting on any forum ever. After months of reading them.
I am going to be starting a 75 or 90 gallon reef tank. I would rather it have drilled overflows in the bottom of the tank. My question is that I may be able to get a tank cheaper with it being drilled. But I plan on drilling it myself. What I need to know is, if anyone knows where you can purchase the piece of plastic for the overflow or if anyone has tried to make one. Thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can buy acrylic and make it out of that, or you can just buy one pre made which I think would be easiest.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am sure it wouldn't be that hard to make one, I just don't have a proper saw cut the acrylic. Do you know specifically anywhere I can order one online I have asked at my lfs and all I have gotten was " google it" But I have yet to find one designed to be used with the holes on the bottom of the tank.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock
I am sure it wouldn't be that hard to make one, I just don't have a proper saw cut the acrylic. Do you know specifically anywhere I can order one online I have asked at my lfs and all I have gotten was " google it" But I have yet to find one designed to be used with the holes on the bottom of the tank.
For cutting the acrylic we just used a fine toothed round saw, cut like butter
But u need to find a way to drill the holes in the tank, that part is trickier and should prolly be left to the pros
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely want to be careful when drilling the tank. Your going to need special drill bits when doing this. Plus, a drill press will work 1000 times better, if you don't have one of those, call up a professional.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just found an awesome deal on craigslist hopefully gonna go pick it up later today has overflow already drilled. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't fall though
Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am the proud new owner of a 90 gallon tank (pre-drilled with a corner overflow. Tanks everyone for the help though
Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock
I am the proud new owner of a 90 gallon tank (pre-drilled with a corner overflow. Tanks everyone for the help though
Congratz hope u enjoy it

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corner, diy, flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com