Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think making longer will be a better idea just make sure the stand is strong because of the length.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

PM sent to OP

6G Planted 360 Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so my research for sliding tanks provides allot of issues with the plumbing. Flexible pipe could be used to work normally when extended then coil up when closed and still function it seems.

Honestly I would prefer a strait pipe down for the overflow with no coils to overcome. It also poses an issue for debris building up in the bottom of the coil cousing the above tanks to overflow.

This could be overcome with a float shut off switch however the cost will go way up and we are doing a DIY project to save cost.

I need objections to widen the tank or better ideas to use the sliding tank idea. As it stands im going to widen it however if we do we will now have more room to add 2 or 4 more 10g tanks. This would provide a total of 4 to 6 10g tanks to work as species tanks, quarantine tanks, hospital tanks, planted tanks or whatever.

What do you guys think? I would like to start building this frame next weekend once we choose the right design and draw it out over this week.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about something like this? Pretty much same amount of wood, without the need of sliders. Just make "3" individual shelves. All 3 have casters on the bottom which would make movement simple, and because they are separate the bottom 2 will easily slide out for cleaning, adding removing fish etc.

A bolt through each of the 4 legs with a nut will hold the 3 units together, for display and for movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new idea.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	201552  
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper216 View Post
What about something like this? Pretty much same amount of wood, without the need of sliders. Just make "3" individual shelves. All 3 have casters on the bottom which would make movement simple, and because they are separate the bottom 2 will easily slide out for cleaning, adding removing fish etc.

A bolt through each of the 4 legs with a nut will hold the 3 units together, for display and for movement.
Interesting. I like this idea. The whole unit will be incased with the whole front acting as a door for looks and all. This idea is definitely feasible only problem is the plumbing for the 3 tanks draining into the sump at the bottom.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

This may get a little confusing so if you have a question I will try and draw something.

For purposes, the 'front' will be the display side the 'back' will be the other.

Attach the plumbing onto the back legs, to run to your 3 way connection on the back of the sump tank to connect to the sump there. Allow a little slack to be able to pull the sump tank out.
Make sure when the tubing is run it goes in front of all 3 of the back legs so when you slide the shelves out it wont be in the way.

If all 3 will be connected to the 1 sump You could connect the two 10 gallon tanks with a T connector, and run the single line down to another T connecting these and the display to the sump.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still not sure how the plumbing would work without a flexible hose that can stretch out when a tank is rolled out then coils back when pushed in. The coil is what concerns me that debris could settle in the bottom cousing a clog then the above tanks might overflow.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you using primarily pvc pipe or pvc tubing? if its the pipe, I honestly cant think of a way other than the flex line like you said.

If the tubing, if there was about a foot-a foot-and-a-half of slack, it would been enough to slide the sump out with no stress on connections. Maybe a tension clip (like those things used in garages to hold brooms/shovels) at the top to hold the slack up so there is no where for debris to build up
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feel like something this style, with a big enough inner diameter would solve the problem

Amazon.com: Tidy Tubing 15 FEET: Health & Personal Care
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I decided since we want to keep cost down im going to widen the stand. So now I can fit 2 more 10g tanks. Here is my frame sketch. It leaves 12 inches above each tank to work with. I plan on putting the top on a hinge so the display tank can be fully open for large docor. We have 2 by 4 supports for the outsides and 4 by 4 support for the inside since it holds both tanks on either side. I know it looks like the frame is against the tank but it will be built 1 inch to big allowing half an inch of room on either side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_160016.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	202108

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com