Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY Custom All In One Tank Build Project 001

Welcome to my first thread everyone. Today we will start a discussion on a custome tank concept that you will get to see collectively designed and built with budget and resale value in mind.

I have found myself with a few 10g and a couple 29g tanks one of which I was building a custom sump out of. The name of the game is to put everything you need into a compact yet elegant design that fits through a standard door frame then sell it. Lets start the requirements list for the beginner.

Obviously you need your show tank. If your building a show tank then you dont want a bunch of filters heaters and air stones ruining your view. Also you want a bunch of fish in there. So lets add a sump to place all that equipment in and add extra water to increase water quality to keep that beautifully overstocked tank healthy. You need quarantine and hospital tank or tanks to keep everything running smooth. Oh but wait you cant fight ich without 2 tanks so now we have to have 2 hospital or quarantine tanks.

The idea is in the image below. We will have 1 29g tank as a show tank at the top. Below that will be 2 10g hospital tanks. Below that will be a 29g sump tank. In a normal setup im thinking all 3 tanks will overflow into the sump and the sump will pump water into all 3 tanks simultaneously. Shut off valves will be placed on both 10g tanks so we can isolate them from the system to creat a hospital tank or when left running would make a great quarantine tank.

The whole front will be a giant door and when closed will only show the front of the tanks you see in the image below. Its a all in one compact design.

So for starters what is this set up missing? If its not missing anything then why wont it work. Once the concept is designed we will discuss frame sizes and plumbing.

Remember a all in one unit with size and cost in mind is our goal. We will concept this all in one design together and we will build and sell it right here. The goal is not just to build a cheap all in one unit but to show the new comers how affordable the hobby can be when done right and to watch our ideas unfold into a real build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131003_012105.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	200903

Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice idea but you can't use the same water that feeds your DT to feed the QT and hospital tanks. cause then you are not getting rid of the problem. Let's say you get new fishes and you have them in your QT and one have ich you will infest the the entire setup cause they are all being feed from the same water. QT and hospital tanks need there own water supply

Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks really rad, I want one in my room haha!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Nice idea but you can't use the same water that feeds your DT to feed the QT and hospital tanks. cause then you are not getting rid of the problem. Let's say you get new fishes and you have them in your QT and one have ich you will infest the the entire setup cause they are all being feed from the same water. QT and hospital tanks need there own water supply
Agreed, during the first stages of quarantine and all stages of a hospital tank they need to be separated. I figured this problem could be solved when we do the plumbing by setting up all 3 tanks to drain into the sump instead of flowing through each tank. Valves will be installed on the 3 intakes primarily to adjust flow since 1 pump will feed 3 tanks but also so you can shut the flow off to a tank. If no water is flowing in then nothing will overflow. It becomes iscolated. Drop in a sponge filter heater and air stone and the hospital is up and running.

Can anyone else think of a draw back or better design idea?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
Agreed, during the first stages of quarantine and all stages of a hospital tank they need to be separated. I figured this problem could be solved when we do the plumbing by setting up all 3 tanks to drain into the sump instead of flowing through each tank. Valves will be installed on the 3 intakes primarily to adjust flow since 1 pump will feed 3 tanks but also so you can shut the flow off to a tank. If no water is flowing in then nothing will overflow. It becomes iscolated. Drop in a sponge filter heater and air stone and the hospital is up and running. Can anyone else think of a draw back or better design idea?
um what about weight issues from the top tank and the support of the middle two
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Liking this project. I'll chime in when I get a chance.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would it be possible to attach 2 small, maybe 5g tanks in/on to the 29g sump tank to act as sump tanks for the 2 QT's??

Maybe in the back, below the over hang of the QT's themselves.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so first the stand and can it hold all these tanks. Water is just under 8.5 lbs per gallon. So...

29 gallons is about 245lbs. Lets just add 55lbs for decor rocks and such. Top tank will be about 300lbs. A single 6 foot 2by4 will hold 400 to 600lbs in the middle. We will have 2 of them across the bottom and will hold the tank no problem and only adding 2 inches of hight. Once the setup is fully thought out we will build the whole frame out of 2by4s with maybe 4by4s as the support legs on the 4 outer sides for safe messure. Remember cost is one of our elements here so I dont want to over do it but I do want it to hold.

Interesting micro sump idea. Could you explain more? Will this be part of the system normally with the option to run solo or will this be 3 total separate tanks with sumps? Remember these 2 10g added can be used to hold weaker fish that are having trouble competing for food with the main tank to rebuild strength as well as breeding pairs to breed or house fry not just as hospital or QT purposes. Thats why I was setting up the option to be 1 system or a solo setup. Would we be purchasing extra pumps to run the other systems? The only thing I can think of now to reduce cost is using a air stone in a pipe to return water to the tank like a sponge filter does.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would think they would have to be separate. Isn't the point of a hospital/quarantine tank to separate new or current fish from potentially spreading diseases?

If there is an option to switch between a hospital/qt for sick/new and to a part of the main system to use to breed or house fry, that would be my option.
But I wouldn't have the 2 tanks connected together, allowing you to breed and hospital or breed and quarantine, or quarantine and hospital etc without effecting either the main tank or the second small one.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting idea, so following along. What about including another small pump at the top of the system to provide a gravity feed refugium. Usable with either fresh or saltwater.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com