Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
DIY Custom lid???

Hey all.. im trying to build a custom lid/cover for my 75 gallon tank. This isnt as easy as it appears because i have a older tank without the plastic support rail running through the center. The bracket holding the tank together has a lip on the inside. im trying to figure out how to and what to use to make a custom lid. i also have hangon filters/ heaters/ filters so it needs to be CUSTOM. haha.. i know it sounds rediculous but its all i need plus lights and fish to have an aquarium.
thought about the mesh.. but saw a thread where fish jumped through.
considering plexiglass

any thoughts? opinions? Help?
thanks alot

Fishy212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Louvers International | Plastic Eggcrate | Custom & Standard Lighting Diffusers

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Be SURE that it is an AQUARIUM and not a Terrarium and it is meant to hold water. With out that center support it is suspect to be a terrarium and should only have a few inches of water in it. i think for it to be able to be filled to the rim with water the glass will have to be 1/2 inch thick or more. i have an older 75 gal and it is 3/8 glass and still has a center brace.
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The old 75 gal that I got used had no center brace. It has almost 1/2" thick glass & no bowing whatsoever when filled to the brim.

You can make yourself a center brace quite easily. Get a piece of glass maybe 3-4" wide & exactly the same length as the inside front/back distance of your tank. Silicone that to the center of your front & back panes at the top & you are done.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have 2 older tank I bought new and neither have a center brace. One is a Perfecto 55 I bought about 25 yrs ago. I also bought a AGA 50 breeder (36x18x20) about 20 yrs ago. Glass is much thicker on both than a new 55 or 75 tho.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

custom, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com