DIY Denitrator glue suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First - I don't want to start a discussion about the effects of coil denitrators. I'm already building one, going to play with it, and see how it goes. I'd prefer to have a flat 0 ppm NO3 rather than it slowly creeping steadily up every two weeks. Its cheap, and isnt' going to hurt anything as long as I ogygenate the output.

Anyway.

I cannot, for the life of me, get my acrylic top and bottom to adhere to the 4" PVC pipe.

I've tried everything. Superglue, plumbing glue stuff (the kind you glue PVC together with), Weld-on #16 (as suggested on reefshow.com's DIY denitrator article), epoxy, etc.

The seal always leaks, and the base or top will basically peel right off when I go to retry.

After each unsuccessful try, I've cleaned the acrylic and PVC to make sure no chunk of previous adhesives are left.

Anyone have any suggestions for proper adhesive to glue a 6x6 acrylic square to the top/bottom of a 4" PVC pipe? I've been trying for over a month now, I've bought almost 50 bucks worth of glue, and I'm getting frustrated ;)

In more critical situations the best glue to use is WeldOn 40. As noted above it reacts to form acrylic, but will also bond between the existing acrylic and PVC. Depending a bit on temperature and the exact ratio of components used, it can take about 30 minutes before it hardens. It is best left for 24 hours to fully cure before doing anything too major to the pieces.

why are you using acrylic? I used the $.96 knock out cap in the hardware aisle where I bought the PVC pipes.

they sell two foot sections of pvc in lowes and home depot. 100' of irrigation tubing (75' fit), two knockout caps and some left over bioballs and ceramic rings. I slipped the intake into a jtube from an old HOB and the output drips into the sump. I used a little silicon to seal the tubing's entry and exit holes in the cap and voila a $10 denitrator coil.

Back
Top Bottom