diy denitrators do they work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elke

Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank is a little high on the nitrate side i have been reading about denitraters and really don't want to pay $200 for one so i looked up diy denitraters and they are really easy to make for about $20 big difference now i want to know if anyone has used them and if the claims really are true about how well they work. they claim to keep nitrates down after the cycling period at 0ppm if your tank raises at 25ppm in nitrates is this true if so i'm gonna build away......

I used a denitraitor in my 55 when I had it and worked for me. What do you have for a sump? is it a refugium. if not can you male one out of your sump. Put some macro algea in it which love nitrates. This is what I do for my 125 now. Nitrates at 0. Think about going to a refugium instead of a denitraitor. Have a good day

here's the link for the plans i seen there is 2 plans there and some talk about them

As for my sump its a 29g tank with 5lbs lr in it with culerpa growing on it with one molly that i wanted to see if they really live in saltwater and there she stay to keep my sump clean culerpa not really helping thinking about this project in conjunction with a protein skimmer..

A little calerpa growing on a rock is not enough. A large amount growing in the sand of your refuge will work wonders.

had alot of culerpa at one time it does not seem to thrive in my sump went from about 1lbs to about nothing cuz it all died i have a 15 in strip light on the top of my sump to provide light for it but it didn't seem to help any suggestions on what to do i liked the culerpa cuz it was free food for my tangs and it looked nice when i stuck a little in my top tank a lil bit of greens swimming in the current had a nice touch

I use a 96 watt6700K compact flourescent lamp made by Aqualight. It grows like crazy in my tank

Back
Top Bottom