DIY Divided Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have been designing a 3 part Betta tank. It would have three separate areas separated by water tight seals. The middle section would be taller than the rest, and there would be a wide, shallow depression allowing water to flow over the sides and waterfall into the other two. These would drain into a filtration system in the stand underneath the tank. Here's a picture of the design for the setup:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410577177.854518.jpg

I plan to construct this out of glass, or if that is to expensive, acrylic.

I will be detailing the project in this thread. Please post any advise, comments, concerns, etc. Thank you!

-Laird

Will the betta be able to see eachother or will you block the sides? Some betta may become stressed if they do not feel adequately secure or feel that their territory is being invaded by another betta!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh awesome that's what I was going to suggest! Looks like a super cool set up! I wish I had that for my bettas!

So, I was looking at the price of everything, and I found that I can't afford to do this project right now, so I am putting it on hold. :( Thank you guys for your feedback though!

On a future note, when you plan on doing this tank again.

When bettas sense water flowing over an edge of a tank like you plan, its their instinct to follow that stream of water. Its how they get around in their natural habitat. The top one would likely jump into the lower tanks.

You should go on the fund me site and ask for donations here! I'd be willing to pitch in just to see this beautiful design happen!!! :D

I have a divided 5.5 gal tank that I want to take the top rim off, and I've been concerned about the structural integrity. However if I use the plexi-glass divider as a brace do you think it can withstand the water pressure?
I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

If you divide a 5.5 the resulting water volume on either side will be insufficient for pretty much anything to thrive except maybe a very small female betta, fry, or shrimp

[emoji192]Hippo
[emoji216]Snickers, Kevin & Bacon
[emoji226]Grumpy Gills & Tramp + various pals
[emoji196]Webster

I have 2 male bettas in the divided 5.5 tank. They seem very content.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412116427.140110.jpg

I have a divided 5.5 gal tank that I want to take the top rim off, and I've been concerned about the structural integrity. However if I use the plexi-glass divider as a brace do you think it can withstand the water pressure?

I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Is your tank glass or acrylic? If you are using silicone to bond the plexi to a glass tank, you should be aware that silicone does not actually bond to plastic, so it will add minimal support and you should not expect to have that seal be water tight. That being said, it should be fine to take the rim off (I think) just based on the fact that the water pressure of 5 gallons is not that much.

If you divide a 5.5 the resulting water volume on either side will be insufficient for pretty much anything to thrive except maybe a very small female betta, fry, or shrimp.

Although in a 2.25 gal a Betta might not be as active as in, for example a 5 gal, I have seen plenty of people keep Bettas in much less than that. I personally feel that you can appreciate a Betta more in a larger tank, there is nothing specifically wrong with keeping a Betta in a 2.25. That is probably closer what I think the minimum size should be (something like 1.5 gal, bare minimum), but nearly every situation is better than the cups that they are sold in.

And Guppy, I like your tank. Very nice!

@Liard-and-Dad, thank you. I actually plan on adding some small pieces of drift wood and java fern and taking out the fake stuff.
I believe the tank is made of glass, but if the plexi-glass divider won't work with silicone then I guess I need a new plan of action. :/

Back
Top Bottom