DIY drift wood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThAtGuY11

Aquarium Advice Regular
iv heard you can make your own drift wood. does this mean i can just go out the back yard and pick up a nice looking piece of wood and boil it in salted water?

pls do respond

I've heard alternating periods of soaking in saltwater and leaving it out in the sun is also effective.

Boiling will leach the tannins more quickly and sterilize the wood.

That wood better be very, very dead for a long time first... if any wood is not seasoned fully, it will just grow fungus constantly.

One technique I've seen is to put it in your oven to thoroughly dry it out and kill any potential bacteria. To weigh it down drill and bolt a piece of slate to the bottom of it to weigh it down.

I am on my first month of soaking a few pieces in a bucket. I've done this before and depending on the type if wood it'll take a couple of months. I will then boil the snot out of it in salt water for a few changes before placing in a tank. It's a long process but worth the effort once you get to the end result. The nice thing is all the fuzzy jazz and tannins are out before the wood is put in the tank.
If I had a sand blaster or access to one, I'd use that on the pieces before putting them in water.
Good luck!

Cure it with Potassium Permangenate!

Cure it with Potassium Permangenate for a week, which would kill any bacteria and repeat this for couple of weeks before boiling. This would also give the dark color to the wood. But make sure you wash them clean of potassium permangenate before adding it to your fish tank.

Back
Top Bottom