DIY Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 2.5g planted tank. I need a very small piece of driftwood...so I'm going to have to make it. I am planning on going to the park, collecting a piece from the pond, cleaning it off, and then baking/boiling it...what do you guys think? I've been told to use hardwood (denoted by not being pushed in by my fingernail).

most trees that bear fruit like oaks and apples are fine but don't get any wood form trees like pine, they contain sap and its poisonous to fish. after you pick the right piece, peel off all outer bark and soak for a week to get rid of tannins.
tannins arent bad for your tank but they will turn it into a tea color so soak it a long time. then to disinfect it, put aquarium salt into the bucket your dumping it in. you wouldn't want any parasites or disease to come off the wood

i have actually, these r the steps i take to make sure my fish are safe and my water doesn't get clouded :) this is much cheaper (practically free) than buying it from a fish store xD

You can also put it through the dishwasher (no soap!) to kill any bugs/germs. That's what I do.

what about any soapy residue that might be in your dishwasher though mumma? even dried soap residue? i just ask cos that seems like an AWESOME idea which i'll use but i'm just concerned about any soap residue that might be left from the wash before etc

themox said:
what about any soapy residue that might be in your dishwasher though mumma? even dried soap residue? i just ask cos that seems like an AWESOME idea which i'll use but i'm just concerned about any soap residue that might be left from the wash before etc

If your worried you can run the dishwasher empty before you add the wood for another cycle. I actually wash the wood 2-3 times and I don't use rinse aid so I don't have to worry about that. :)

do you do that instead of boiling it mumma? or as well as? is it just a one time thing or do you need to do it a few times. EDIT. sorry, re-read your response and you already answered that :p

themox said:
do you do that instead of boiling it mumma? or as well as? is it just a one time thing or do you need to do it a few times. EDIT. sorry, re-read your response and you already answered that :p

You can boil afterwards to help remove tannins. The dishwasher will remove some but not a lot. It kills any germs and also does a good job at cleaning off any dirt/mud. I don't soak or boil but I don't mind tannin and it doesn't mess with my pH because I have hard water. I just chuck the wood straight into the tank after I wash is and weight it down with slate until it stays down by itself.

You can boil afterwards to help remove tannins. The dishwasher will remove some but not a lot. It kills any germs and also does a good job at cleaning off any dirt/mud. I don't soak or boil but I don't mind tannin and it doesn't mess with my pH because I have hard water. I just chuck the wood straight into the tank after I wash is and weight it down with slate until it stays down by itself.

thanks!

(you copied my photo! lol) :lol:

You can also put it through the dishwasher (no soap!) to kill any bugs/germs. That's what I do.

What a great Idea! I never would have thought of putting my wood in the dishwasher! Great GREAT idea Mumma!

Back
Top Bottom