DIY Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found a really nice piece of wood to use as driftwood outside today. I boiled it and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 1.5 hours. When I took it out, I noticed it was oozing sap. How can I prep the wood to ensure it is safe for my tank? I recognize it may be easier for me to go to the store and buy a piece of driftwood there but I would rather prepare it myself if that is at all feasible. Thank you.

I found a really nice piece of wood to use as driftwood outside today. I boiled it and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 1.5 hours. When I took it out, I noticed it was oozing sap. How can I prep the wood to ensure it is safe for my tank? I recognize it may be easier for me to go to the store and buy a piece of driftwood there but I would rather prepare it myself if that is at all feasible. Thank you.

I know you don't wana hear this but you need to toss that wood. Anything that contains sap is no good for the aquarium and can be toxic. Most woods here tend to be soft and are not the best for aquarium use. The best woods that require the least amount of prep are the three M's (manzanita, mopani, and Malaysian). I recently got some malaysian from a great source called TheBettaFactory on eBay. They have some great package deals and I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom