Diy driftwood ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
I decided to pull my own pieces of wood to try to make driftwood for my new tank. It's boiling now. I'm under the assumption it's some type of hardwood, and it came from a huge tree that's been downed for over a year. Can anyone confirm what kind of wood this is and if there are any issues? The boiling is making the wood look almost black but I assume that's because it's waterlogged.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415556162.508882.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415556186.553344.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415556204.410974.jpg

I am curious to find out how it turns out. I have started getting my own driftwood but have never boiled it so I am curious if it will become water logged after boiling.

It's floating right now. After I boiled i soaked it in hot water and have it one more scrub and submerged it in the empty tank. From what I've read it takes some time to get waterlogged and sink if ever. Seems like most people anchor it but I have some time so I'm experimenting :)

It only took my driftwood around an hour to get waterlogged enough to not float. I have manzanita

Update: it's been a week and all but one piece has sunk. I'm told it's willow.

Sorry for the delay, the wood all sunk in a week and one piece took two but it was thicker than the others.
Here's a shot:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417379531.290354.jpg
The wood is starting to get that grayish film so I'm waiting that out and working on stocking and getting some plants. Success so far. I plan to grab some more for my 55 and my sisters tank at some point.

To answer your original question, how to tell if it is hardwood, cut a small piece from the same tree scrap where you collect. Make sure to fray or make the ends jagged. If it is soft wood the inside will get soft and start to flake after a few hours submerged. If that happens get rid of it.

I use the shop sink in my fishroom to cure out and water log the wood. The first sink full consists of boiling hot water and 4 cups rock sale. You can add a cap full of bleach if you like to over kill any parasites that may be there. I let the water cool and weight down the wood and drain and add new water until the water stays clear and the wood sinks. Just and FYI, if your water doesn't run clear the tank water will turn brown from tannic acid. Won't hurt the fish, but it looks kind of nasty.

Willow is fine for use in a tank. Wood doesn't have to be hardwood to be useful. It is conifers you want to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom