Diy filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaronb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just curious why no one uses one of those house filters attached to a pump for supplemental filtration. Unless I just missed it somewhere. I thought it'd work pretty slick. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No, I haven't built it yet. I was thinking about it unless someone had a reason why it wouldn't be very good.

I would think there is nowhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Also, I don't know how long it would take for it to get clogged up from fish "gunk". Just my thoughts, could be wrong. Interested to see other's opinions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Yeah, we're talking about a filter designed to improve tap water taste... not a filter designed to literally filter out large particulate matter like you have in a tank. It might work for a very short time, but would be a PITA to use IMO

I was thinking of blocking off the outlet and putting it out of the bottom of the housing so I could just fill it up with whatever.

I didn't know if just using the regular cartridges in one of these would work well to help with mechanical filtration. The 210 gallon aquarium I was considering putting it on already has a fluval fx5 and rena xp4. I was thinking as simple as it was to change the cartridges in these it might be nice.

Back
Top Bottom