Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

A strong powerhead is needed to properly run a UGF. This is how the fish food/poop doesnt stay on the bottom and it actually gets filtered through.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea I was planning on using a power head or possibly 2, one on each side, The wide area of good bacterial growth is what turned me to UGF, would having another filter system such as an HOB or canister help keep the "junk" out of the tank while still allowing for the bacteria growth?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link119
A strong powerhead is needed to properly run a UGF. This is how the fish food/poop doesnt stay on the bottom and it actually gets filtered through.

There is no reason to get an ugf unless you enjoy taking your tank completely apart, periodically, so you can clean your filthy grate.

http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have a problem with this expansive cleaning once in a while as I already do this with my other tank, yes weekly maintenance is much easier and I do this but I also enjoy extreme cleans on occasion.

My reason for A UGF is more for the bacterial growth and better water flow. As I have read that the constant circulation of water UGF's create helps with oxygen content in taller tanks. Is this true?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JryanM
I don't have a problem with this expansive cleaning once in a while as I already do this with my other tank, yes weekly maintenance is much easier and I do this but I also enjoy extreme cleans on occasion.

My reason for A UGF is more for the bacterial growth and better water flow. As I have read that the constant circulation of water UGF's create helps with oxygen content in taller tanks. Is this true?
If its just a matter of drawing water to the bottom of the tank you just lower your intake.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you wanted sand, so why not go with an hob or canister. Your still going to be vacuuming the sand from the bottom so you can save yourself some maintenance by getting an hob.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another filter idea, somewhat like HOB, is an above-tank filter. I just DIY'd one myself out of acrylic, sits on top of the tank where a piece of top glass would normally go, powerhead in the tank to pump it up there and a siphon (plus a couple of overflows just in case) to return it to the tank.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link119
I think you wanted sand, so why not go with an hob or canister. Your still going to be vacuuming the sand from the bottom so you can save yourself some maintenance by getting an hob.
I may end up doing just that. It just seemed like a good project but I do think I am going the sand route. Thanks for the help!

Tags
diy, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com