DIY Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JryanM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have seen where people use PVC pipe with holes drilled in it as an undersand filter, does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be worth trying out or not?

Anyone know if under gravel filters can be used with sand? If so what kind of sand?

Sand would clog the filter, but what size is the tank. Diy Canisters are easy to make. Plus they are pretty cheap.

Link119 said:
Sand would clog the filter, but what size is the tank. Diy Canisters are easy to make. Plus they are pretty cheap.

Okay so no go on sand, but either in a 30in long x 13in wide x 23in tall tank or a 15 gallon tank

I don't understand why anyone prefers to suck their aquariums bio load into their substrate. What is the benefit to an under gravel filter?

I'm guessing it's because the substrate provides a huge surface area to grow bacteria for filtration.

I'm no expert but it doesn't sound ideal to me because you cannot perform any form of pre-filtering, and so you end up with fish food etc sitting there.

phreeky said:
I'm guessing it's because the substrate provides a huge surface area to grow bacteria for filtration.

I'm no expert but it doesn't sound ideal to me because you cannot perform any form of pre-filtering, and so you end up with fish food etc sitting there.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

A strong powerhead is needed to properly run a UGF. This is how the fish food/poop doesnt stay on the bottom and it actually gets filtered through.

Yea I was planning on using a power head or possibly 2, one on each side, The wide area of good bacterial growth is what turned me to UGF, would having another filter system such as an HOB or canister help keep the "junk" out of the tank while still allowing for the bacteria growth?

Link119 said:
A strong powerhead is needed to properly run a UGF. This is how the fish food/poop doesnt stay on the bottom and it actually gets filtered through.

There is no reason to get an ugf unless you enjoy taking your tank completely apart, periodically, so you can clean your filthy grate.

http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

I don't have a problem with this expansive cleaning once in a while as I already do this with my other tank, yes weekly maintenance is much easier and I do this but I also enjoy extreme cleans on occasion.

My reason for A UGF is more for the bacterial growth and better water flow. As I have read that the constant circulation of water UGF's create helps with oxygen content in taller tanks. Is this true?

JryanM said:
I don't have a problem with this expansive cleaning once in a while as I already do this with my other tank, yes weekly maintenance is much easier and I do this but I also enjoy extreme cleans on occasion.

My reason for A UGF is more for the bacterial growth and better water flow. As I have read that the constant circulation of water UGF's create helps with oxygen content in taller tanks. Is this true?

If its just a matter of drawing water to the bottom of the tank you just lower your intake.

I think you wanted sand, so why not go with an hob or canister. Your still going to be vacuuming the sand from the bottom so you can save yourself some maintenance by getting an hob.

Another filter idea, somewhat like HOB, is an above-tank filter. I just DIY'd one myself out of acrylic, sits on top of the tank where a piece of top glass would normally go, powerhead in the tank to pump it up there and a siphon (plus a couple of overflows just in case) to return it to the tank.

Link119 said:
I think you wanted sand, so why not go with an hob or canister. Your still going to be vacuuming the sand from the bottom so you can save yourself some maintenance by getting an hob.

I may end up doing just that. It just seemed like a good project but I do think I am going the sand route. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom