DIY Filter Cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got back from pricing some cartridges for my filter and OH MY GOD!
Expensive!

So I got looking around and they sell empty, resealable filter cartridges of different sizes. What I was thinking of getting one or two of these, and filling them up with activated charcoal, and a sponge. This way I figure, when it needs "replacing", all I do is scrub said resealable filter cartridge in waste water change water, add new piece of sponge, remove old charcoal and add new, reseal and bingo, presto- new cartridge.
Right? Or am I wrong?

I just replace the cartridge's falling apart filter floss with polyester quilt batting by hot gluing it to the frame.

Regular water changes keep the chemicals that carbon will get rid of. Weekly water changes of 50% are good for avoiding carbon and in general, more water changes are better for the fish.

What do the resealable cartridges look like? Do you have a photo? What is the brand name?

Forget the brand, and I can't find it on the Petsmart website.
They come in two different sizes, and of course, neither is a good fit for my filter, so I'm thinking maybe modifying one of my yet-to-be-used cartridge.

What if you were able to make on with filter floss sown together, and glue a zip lock back reseal thing at the top??? It's kinda ghetto but what DIY isn't?

I really enjoy DIY but at times it pays to use the DIY time on something else. IMHO this is one of them. I get years use out of this sort of stuff with rinse and reuse method so can't see how this ever would pay off if cost based.

Back
Top Bottom