DIY filter cartridge help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a aqueon 10 filter and a topfin..20 i think wich ever one came with the 15g starter kit is there any way i could customize the filter media or replace it i hate throwing out the whole thing because the filter floss is a great place to grow nitrifying bacteria but the carbon loses its effictiveness and starts releasiing toxins over time. is there anythin i can do about it?

I've heard of people using a knife to slice them open and remove the carbon and just use the floss part. Just be careful not to make a hole for water to bypass the filter.

i pefer to use the carbon ive seen family mebers not use it and its more work then nesacery is there any way ti replace the carbon and add other things if needed

Looking at a picture online, I think you should be able to remove the clip on the top of the cartridge, unfold the top flaps, and slide the mesh bag off the frame.

What extra work results from not using carbon? I only use it to remove tannins or medication from the water. I even leave it out of new filters when I set them up.

BigJim said:
Looking at a picture online, I think you should be able to remove the clip on the top of the cartridge, unfold the top flaps, and slide the mesh bag off the frame.

What extra work results from not using carbon? I only use it to remove tannins or medication from the water. I even leave it out of new filters when I set them up.

i don't know if it was something else they did but their water allways seemed a little murky n on the aqueon filter cartridge theres no way to unclip it it's sealed completely

In that case, you could use a razor blade to cut one side of the cartridge open at the topl.

Back
Top Bottom