Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey guys, so I have a 55 gallon tank cycling in my living room. It has nothing but a makeshift light, old filter and soon to have a layer of pool filter sand in the bottom.
I am hoping to keep 4 Red Zebra, 4 Cobalt Blue Zebras, 4 East African Flameback Cichlids, and 2 albino Bristlenose Plecos. I want to make a diy filter (canister or sump). I know how both of them work, but am still unsure of which will be better.
So here are my questions:
1) What are your experiences with diy canister and sumps? Which are easier to build, and which are more efficient?
2) For a sump, how will I get the water out of the tank and into the sump? I do not have any holes drilled in my tank and it is not something I plan to do.
3)For either of them, what kind of gallons per hour am I looking at for pumps and powerheads?
4) What are the best kinds of filtration for these cichlids? Mechanical, biological, chemical?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamami8326 View Post
Hey guys, so I have a 55 gallon tank cycling in my living room. It has nothing but a makeshift light, old filter and soon to have a layer of pool filter sand in the bottom.
I am hoping to keep 4 Red Zebra, 4 Cobalt Blue Zebras, 4 East African Flameback Cichlids, and 2 albino Bristlenose Plecos. I want to make a diy filter (canister or sump). I know how both of them work, but am still unsure of which will be better.
So here are my questions:
1) What are your experiences with diy canister and sumps? Which are easier to build, and which are more efficient?
2) For a sump, how will I get the water out of the tank and into the sump? I do not have any holes drilled in my tank and it is not something I plan to do.
3)For either of them, what kind of gallons per hour am I looking at for pumps and powerheads?
4) What are the best kinds of filtration for these cichlids? Mechanical, biological, chemical?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
I haven't done any DIY filter projects, except for small scale stuff.

For either project, efficiency is all about how you build them. Sumps, canisters, hob, matten filter, whatever. You can either build or buy an over flow box that uses siphon to get the water over the side of the tank. Plenty of reference out on google for that.

Sumps can be noisier and IHMO, take a lot more fine tuning to get right. They're easy to build though Canisters are relatively simple too, but can have their own complications. Flow is determined, in either project, by what size pump you install and how you design the filtration flow.

My wife and I have 4 cichlid tanks - a 275 gal, a 210 gal, a 100 gal and a 36 gal. We use multiple canisters on each (Rena) and have great success. With that much water, I leave it to the pros. But I've have always wanted to try a matten filter. Their elegance is in their simplicity.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis17 View Post

I haven't done any DIY filter projects, except for small scale stuff.

For either project, efficiency is all about how you build them. Sumps, canisters, hob, matten filter, whatever. You can either build or buy an over flow box that uses siphon to get the water over the side of the tank. Plenty of reference out on google for that.

Sumps can be noisier and IHMO, take a lot more fine tuning to get right. They're easy to build though Canisters are relatively simple too, but can have their own complications. Flow is determined, in either project, by what size pump you install and how you design the filtration flow.

My wife and I have 4 cichlid tanks - a 275 gal, a 210 gal, a 100 gal and a 36 gal. We use multiple canisters on each (Rena) and have great success. With that much water, I leave it to the pros. But I've have always wanted to try a matten filter. Their elegance is in their simplicity.
I should also note that you'll want to pump 5x-10x the volume of the tank per hour. So up to 550 gph at the outlet in your case, but you'll want a pump that has higher flow than that to account for pushing the water up to your tank (rise), and media types you're going to use. Remember that it's much easier to turn down the flow of your intake/output than it is to increase it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah the more I read into it, the more it seems like I would be better off to buy one. I just hate to spend over 200 dollars on a good canister or two. And even after pricing out the DIY Sump, it would cost around 200 as well!
Oh, I always filter my tanks at least 10x the tank volume, if not more. I have a 29 gallon with 350gph filtration.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lol I tend to get lazy now and then so its nice to have a little extra for those days when a water change just isn't feasible.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sump all the way with the right cheap setup I don't get nitrates at all I filter my water to 5 microns yes 5 and I can go mouths and mouths with out doing water changes the only reason I do is just for minerals that's it and I'm very over stocked
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Holy crap :/ I wish I was that lucky! Although I don't have test kits yet, (Hopefully ordering them tomorrow!) I usually do 50% water changes on the weekends and 25% on wednesdays.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Holy crap :/ I wish I was that lucky! Although I don't have test kits yet, (Hopefully ordering them tomorrow!) I usually do 50% water changes on the weekends and 25% on wednesdays.
All you need is a sump just buy an old smaller fish tank.anywhere between £1 and £50 and 50 25 and a 5 micron sock all 3 on eBay for £15 jbl bionitratex £25 off net lots of bio media pot scrubbers will do give it 3 mouths and start cutting back water changes start by leaving it a,week then test if all ok leave till second week test so on and so forth but no longer then 6 mouths with no water change not bad for about £100 and sump add more water to tank I have a 275l tank with a 60l sump giving me 335l
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow it seems so easy when you explain it lol!! Aquarium supplies are a lot harder to come by in my area, and I am personally not an Ebay fan lol. I do a little searching through kijiji (the canadian version), but not with much luck. I plan on ordering everything from 2 websites-
Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products
Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions
The most expensive thing on my list-so far- is a pump, to get water back into the tank. I found a DIY overflow diagram, but I'm not sure if it will work. If I posted it, could you help?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Wow it seems so easy when you explain it lol!! Aquarium supplies are a lot harder to come by in my area, and I am personally not an Ebay fan lol. I do a little searching through kijiji (the canadian version), but not with much luck. I plan on ordering everything from 2 websites-
Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products
Pet Supplies | Dog Supplies | Fish Supplies | Bird Supplies | PetSolutions
The most expensive thing on my list-so far- is a pump, to get water
back into the tank. I found a DIY overflow diagram, but I'm not sure if it will work. If I posted it, could you help?
ill help as much as I can just tell.me what you need to know. As for pumps look in to pond pumps same thing sometimes cheaper

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, diy, filter, gallon, mbuna, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com