Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
entering it before the pump would force the CO2 up down it doesnt matter its already dissoved way before its even to the 2nd stage most likely.. :P

and the down up flow in the second stage would not hurt anything.

the DIY route is very possible.. Ive seen it done on another forum.. though all the pic's are dead..

they make a end cap that is tighted via a wing nut that expands a rubber washer into up to 6 or 8 inch pvc pipe.. the 4 inch ones were more reasonable $ wise when I was looking at it..
it would just be a matter of getting a long piece of 4inch pvc and enough caps and conectors to build your inline filter..

I dont think of dieoff..
how long is your power out on average?
how bad does ice storms knock out power up there? we dont have power outages down here (unless there's a torrnato or something really odd)

Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Aside from the big blackout (24 hrs+), it very rarely goes out, if it does it's for at the most 15 mins.

My concern about introducing the Co2 early is the effect to the fluidized bed, if Co2 bubbles start grabbign sand and helping them up, I'll soon have sand everywhere and no biological filtration.. Also, would the Co2 suffocate the bacteria and cause instability for it (doubt it since it will probably be in the water it takes in)

Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

As Magi said, that impeller is going to dominate any bubbles that you feed it; it's gonna be close to 100% dissolved by the time it reaches the fluidized bed. I don't see the bubbles lifting your sand being an issue.

If your worried about sand escaping into the tank you could put a good sized "u" in the outflow pipe, like the trap on a sink. the commercial filters probably have a more elegant way of doing it, but a big enough u would work too.

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like 6 one, half dozen the other.. except I don't have to worry about a random bubble getting to the second chamber and lifting sand. (even if it's 5 bubbles per hour, every day that will be 120 grains of sand getting thrown out of the chamber. The idea is to never have to open that chamber (not even to refill it))

the U tube would be doubtful, assume a 2" tube, it has a surface area of 3.14"^2, the chamber has a surface area of 12.56"^2. making the pressure (flow rate) 4 x higher in that u tube, it will not stop the sand, even a maze of tunnels will not stop it from travelling through. to see this effect watch the tube when you're vacumming gravel, a piece of debris can take a long time to get to the top of the tube, but once it hits the opening for the hose, it's gone, travelling at ~ 8x the speed.

In either case I will get 100% diffusion.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

CO2 does not force O2 out of the water, very high conentrations of CO2 are possible while O2 as at saturation (much more CO2 then plants can use).. so no.. CO2 being injected before your fluidised bed filter will not cause O2 starvation of your benificial bacteria.

the propeller in a pump will let bubbles pass.. its not really possible by the way centifugal (rotating impellers) pumps work.. and on top of that you have a first chamber that is perfectly able to disolve the CO2 all by itself after the pump.. you would already have insurance against CO2 bubbles occuring.. you will get 100% diffusion before your second chamber.. putting a 3rd add on CO2 reation chamber would be less effecent design for CO2 defusion then injecting before the pump.

it sounds like your intrested in overbuilding.. and the 3rd chamber would do that for you.. It would work.. so I think debating it with you is well.. kinda pointless.. if you want insurance against O2 starvation of bactera (wich isnt a problem) and insurance against "bubbles" getting into your fluidezed bed (wich you will have with the first stage)

I dont think sand is the only media that would do the job by the way if your concerned about it getting back into the tank.. (any bio-media should do, plastic beads were used in the first ones I saw on the market, back when they called the company just plain Rainbow :P )
Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so assume I remove the third chamber, will 150GPH be able to provide a constant Co2 level for a 125Gal tank? or should the flow rate be higher (in which case I have to move the Co2 to a different powerhead).

Assume a lot of plants.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I think it will be plenty, even after accounting for loss for the fluidized bed and stuff from rated pump GPH. Travis had great diffusion with a bioball reactor inline with his canister filter iirc. I think as long as you have complete diffusion, fast flow through the tank will only help get CO2 around.

Very interesting project. I like the idea of leaving space for a micron filter should you need it. Interested in your ideas on implementation of this as well.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHO you just need the water moving on top of getting the CO2 injected.. 150GPH sounds plenty to get the CO2 disolved.. if you need more flow to get up to 5cycles per hour then you can use a closed loop or some power heads to get the rest of the flow (regardless of the sorce flow will keep the CO2 moving around)
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll have a play when the parts get in. as for a micron filter internally.. it could be interesting to see how it will work. Not sure of the pressure required to push water through the filter. However, adding a "tank" part with 2 barbed fittings would allow a standard diatom filter to be hooked up and run when wanted. more on this later.

After consideration, I'ld rather keep the Co2 process seperate, this allows me to install a bypass to keep the water flowing through the bed filter while I change the media in the mechanical filter. (simple check valve on mech cannister, flow director going to mech/bypass)

I'll have a better idea of what I can do when the parts come in and I can duck over to home depot to see what fittings I need. and I'll definately test everything before I start making a mess of the floor (And I'll document it too.)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

How about keeping the nipple and adding a valve for the CO2 intake, so its easy to AB versus the other diffusion method(s) you are considering?

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com