Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
DIY Fish tank bar

Hey guys,
Im buying my own place soon and have always had an idea to make a bar, that has a fish tank that runs the length of it. Looking at the front of the bar you could see through the bar, then i would have a clear top so you could look down into the tank. I was reading around in the diy and found a link to a place that you just plug in the dimensions and it gives you the cut list and thickness of glass. I put in 24"x24"x96" and it said i only need 3/8" glass. My questioin is this, Will that be thick enough to hold the weight of all that water? i dont feel like it would be.

Thanks for any help,

20 gal - (brackish) Archer (4 in), Green Spotted Puffer (2.5 in), Green Scat (1.5 in)

29 gal - Electric Blue Crayfish (2.5 in)
mike0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we had this in the music venue of a bar that i used to live and work in.
A fantastic talking point.

Valiceemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I don't have much experience building tanks. I believe pressure only increases with depth. So even though you have a very long tank it may not need very thick glass. I believe there are a couple places that have calculators for glass thickness though so i would search around to double check.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
idk but when you do this DEFINITELY needs its own thread and LOADS of pictures, i love custom tanks and people intergrating tanks into regular things, better be an awesome reef!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Water pressure increases with depth only. 3/8" could be adequate for a 24" deep tank, but I don't think there'd be much safety factor there. Look for a calculator that shows you the safety factor.

If 3/8" glass proves to be adequate, you'll need to make several braces across the top to keep the 8ft long sides from bowing out.

Have you thought about how you'd hide your tank equipment? I'm not really a fan of aquariums being used as furniture first and an aquarium second. Usually there are too many compromises made for the tank to be a good home for the fish. I've seen several nice bars where the tank is in the wall behind the bar. That way it's up at eye level and you don't have to worry about a spilled drink killing your fish.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
or someone kicking the glass shoving a bar stool in and cracking the sucker. i would prob also use acrylic. the top would prob have to be in sections or you will never be able to work on the tank.

mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com