Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you can use rocks? Are river rocks ok? Like the kind you can buy at the dollar store?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you put a small amount of vinegar on a rock and it doesn't start bubbling, the rock will not affect your ph. I also read that you should run hot water over a rock thoroughly and set it outside in direct sunlight to dry. That will kill any potentially harmful micro organisms.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

you can use rocks out of your yard or a stream or river as long as you use caution and use the vinegar trick and rinse/dry the rocks. I have 2 rocks in my tank that were dug up out of the yard (petrified wood).
Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK Thanks so much. I will test them with vinegar.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yay I tested my rocks and we are in the clear! I also made tons of plants with no wire for the tank.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you're going to use rocks, poor vinegar on them. If it starts to bubble then the rock contains metals. That is harmful to the fish so don't use them. I actually have some realistic plastic plants I got from a craft store and picked off the leaf sections and made my own plants. I had to use the aquarium silicone to make the tall ones, but they look really nice. Also, you could go to a stream or something like that and find natural driftwood. Just make sure you boil it and let it soak for as long as possible to let anything living die and to let as much tannins as possible leech out before putting it into your tank. I've done that on several occasions.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is exactly what I did! I bought some plants that were on sale and siliconed them together and added little rocks to make a base. I tested my rocks and they don't sizzle at all. So we are set there too.

Ooo That is a great Idea for driftwood. Is there any difference between the driftwood you use for a reptile cage and the find you use for a fish tank? My friend has a piece of driftwood that she used for a short time and I was wondering if it would be safe.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #18

driftwood

I've heard using the kind for reptiles isn't safe for whatever reason. You would be ok to find some natural driftwood at a lake or something but you would need to boil or rinse with hot water, let dry in direct sunlight and seal it by brushing on clear laquer of some sort.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm I wonder what the difference is.

I may have to see if I can do that. I may just buy some though... it may end up cheaper than buying laquer and putting all the time into it...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd be warry of rocks from the "Craft Store". If anything, go to a river and find rocks yourself. (Then test with vinegar, soak in water for a while to make sure it doesn't change the pH etc.) People do use what's actually called "Pea Gravel" in aquariums. It comes in many sizes from smaller than a Pea, to almost normal gravel size. I read that in an aquarium aquascaping book so I trust it. Keep in mind that if you use bigger than normal substrate it's gunna make it hard to vacuum the crap (literally) out of it.

Also, just buy some driftwood. I actually bought mine from this website, and I got a few extra pieces for free.

Bob's Tropical Plants <-- Also, I believe that's MGamer's site...

When I bought it the price INCLUDED shipping, so that's why it initially looked high. Best thing I ever did. I bought a small piece pack, and got probably 7 or 8 pieces. All nice ones too. Very good variety. Hmm, looks like he doesn't sell "Packs" anymore. Too bad, still a good site.

Tags
diy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com