DIY foam background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow... Amazing job!!! I have been debating on the type of BG I wanted to put in my new 150 gal project... I'm now inspired! A few questions if you don't mind....
How did you run your plumbing?

Sent from my XT1064 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plumbing was simple enough , I don't have holes in my tank so a simple dit PVC overflow did the trick, although I did use pipes that turned out to be too small so the flow was not strong enough for the return. I had to add a second line going to the sump so the flow would be better.

Looks great! I am currently in the mix of the same project. I finished coating all my cement. I have a question I was hoping you could help answer. What paint did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really liking this tank and your background!
Just realised you're from Australia too, go us. That gutter light looks interesting too, how did you do that?

Wow... Amazing job!!! I have been debating on the type of BG I wanted to put in my new 150 gal project... I'm now inspired! A few questions if you don't mind....
How did you run your plumbing?

Sent from my XT1064 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. Sorry for the late reply I dont come on here often anymore. There is an overflow box on each back corner of the tank. Two drains in the outflow and one on the in. There should be pics on the first or second page of this thread.

I am looking into doing this with my new tank but instead of the cement I was going to use the black pond foam and just either epoxy or silicone colored sand, real rocks and even some tile rock on to it. Im afraid of the leeching since I wont really be able to soak this before.
Any thoughts on this design choice?

If all the products are fish safe then I can't see a problem with just a quick rinse off. The use of real rocks could be a problem due the the weight though.

Looks great! I am currently in the mix of the same project. I finished coating all my cement. I have a question I was hoping you could help answer. What paint did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would be waaayyy too late by now but paint for what exactly?

Really liking this tank and your background!
Just realised you're from Australia too, go us. That gutter light looks interesting too, how did you do that?

Thanks! What exactly are you wanting to know?

Thanks! What exactly are you wanting to know?

The DIY light you made there mainly? What are the specs on the globe you can use and how'd you set it up. My current light is some DIY strip leds from bunnings but there aren't enough lumens I feel for higher tech plants.

The DIY light you made there mainly? What are the specs on the globe you can use and how'd you set it up. My current light is some DIY strip leds from bunnings but there aren't enough lumens I feel for higher tech plants.

Its very simple. Its a $50 4ft double T8 shop light with 6500K (cool/daylight) bulbs. They grew low light plants quite well. Its screwed into some metal guttering and there is some reflective tape on the inside. I think it was used for insulating. It served its purpose and worked well but it wouldn't have been any good for a high tech tank. Actual specs I wouldn't have a clue. I've only just bought my first LEDs. Don't really know too much about them but this really helped:

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/show...H-HELP!!!-A-laymans-guide?highlight=makemyled

The tank now has a 3ft petworx LED over it that I bought then chose not to use on another tank. It was too blue for the other tank but with the tannin in this tank it looks better than the DIY one.

Have you tried makemyled? I just got some from there and I'm very happy. The site has a planner section where you can punch in your tank details and it recommends a system.

Here are some poor firstthinginthemorning pictures with the new light .

Attachments

• 1433798069182.jpg
    1433798069182.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1433798085854.jpg
    1433798085854.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 1433798101711.jpg
    1433798101711.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 125
Ahk yeah that's sort of what I was thinking it was. I try to keep things on the cheap being only 17 and DIY is fairly cheap haha.

I've been considering a makemyled for a while now. I think I'm just going to have to sell a few killis to get some dough to fund it. You're on aquariumlife too? I've just started to roam around there in the last two months or so.

Ahk yeah that's sort of what I was thinking it was. I try to keep things on the cheap being only 17 and DIY is fairly cheap haha.

I've been considering a makemyled for a while now. I think I'm just going to have to sell a few killis to get some dough to fund it. You're on aquariumlife too? I've just started to roam around there in the last two months or so.

Edit: those Elliottis cichlids look awesome!

Edit: those Elliottis cichlids look awesome!

Yeah I stalk aquariumlife but don't post often. Its good for getting info on Australian things. Its better for planted tank stuff than QLDAF is. QLDAF is a joke IMHO.

Thanks. I had ellioti but I sold them and got those big guys you can see in the new photos. They where sold as geophagus surinamensis but they are most likely G. brachybranchus.

Yeah I stalk aquariumlife but don't post often. Its good for getting info on Australian things. Its better for planted tank stuff than QLDAF is. QLDAF is a joke IMHO.

Thanks. I had ellioti but I sold them and got those big guys you can see in the new photos. They where sold as geophagus surinamensis but they are most likely G. brachybranchus.

Yes it is a joke I know. I have been on there a few times, it was pretty hostile to new guys mostly cichlid people I noticed too or guys with reefs. Right yeah I thought that they were geos but then I you had only posted about the tapajo so I thought it was just that your Elliottis had gotten big! I'd love some geos need the big tank though haha.

Back
Top Bottom