Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post

They are plastic or fabric plants they have them at dollar stores, or in craft or decorating sections at walmarts and places like that. You can use any of them and there are always so many to choose from even flowers! You just have to make sure you pull the wire out of the plants first i use pliers they pull out pretty easily.

I will try to upload photos and instructions on how i do mine tonight so you can see how to do it. Its really simple ones you see how its done
Thanks. That would be really helpful!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also use black blasting sand in my tank. $8 for a 50lb bag. Or if you want a more natural look you can buy pea gravel for $3 for a 50 lb bag. I've gotten all four of my tanks from craigslist with a crapload of accessories for under $250. I have a 75, 29, 20, and 10 gallon - all of them came with a heater, filter, light, and lid. Some came with gravel and decorations too. The 20 came with a stand. I built a stand out of 2x4 lumber for the 75. I use poly fill from the craft store for filter media.

One idea I came up with all on my own was to use baby food as a treat for my fish. I buy baby food made out of peas, freeze it into a sheet shape, and once it's frozen I cut it into cubes. It does make my water a bit cloudy temporarily though.

For plants, if you have any friends with planted tanks, you could ask them if they're ok with splitting some of their plants and giving them to you. Then you get free live plants.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw9787 View Post
I also use black blasting sand in my tank. $8 for a 50lb bag. Or if you want a more natural look you can buy pea gravel for $3 for a 50 lb bag. I've gotten all four of my tanks from craigslist with a crapload of accessories for under $250. I have a 75, 29, 20, and 10 gallon - all of them came with a heater, filter, light, and lid. Some came with gravel and decorations too. The 20 came with a stand. I built a stand out of 2x4 lumber for the 75. I use poly fill from the craft store for filter media.

One idea I came up with all on my own was to use baby food as a treat for my fish. I buy baby food made out of peas, freeze it into a sheet shape, and once it's frozen I cut it into cubes. It does make my water a bit cloudy temporarily though.

For plants, if you have any friends with planted tanks, you could ask them if they're ok with splitting some of their plants and giving them to you. Then you get free live plants.
Ok. I am leaning toward sand for this tank. Preferably a natural colored one. Thats a really good price! I am looking on kijiji like three times a day :P so far the best price I've seen is $250 for a 55 gallon tank with a hood and light and a filter. It also comes with gravel, but I would most likely not use that.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

why use kijiji??? far more people use craigslist. you probably shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a 55 gallon that includes the filter heater light and lid on craigslist.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw9787 View Post
why use kijiji??? far more people use craigslist. you probably shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a 55 gallon that includes the filter heater light and lid on craigslist.
I don't know if this makes any difference, but I live in Canada. I have looked on Craigslist and haven't seen all that many fishtanks, plus, for some reason I can't navigate it properly. :P (which may be the reason) Maybe I'll get my dad to help me find one on craigslist.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sooooo... Here are my plants... I took all the wires out, took all the leaves off and taped them back together. Gave my fingers a good work out trying to get all that wire out with pliers! lol the pics are of before and after. I managed to make three plants out of two...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3720556404.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	169204   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3754854873.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	169205  

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post
Sooooo... Here are my plants... I took all the wires out, took all the leaves off and taped them back together. Gave my fingers a good work out trying to get all that wire out with pliers! lol the pics are of before and after. I managed to make three plants out of two...
Nice imma have to try that for my cidhlid tank.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$6.25 for 5 (that I turned into 6) plants.

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com