DIY Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwanieJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I currently have a 110l freshwater tank and I want to upgrade to a tank that is about 2.1mx1.2mx0.8m. I have tried to look for second hand tank with about the same dimensions and the places that can custom make me the tank is a bit over my budget.

So I decided why not make it a DIY project... But the problem is the glass , where in South Africa (more specific gauteng) can I find the right thickness glass and what thickness is going to be thick enough?

Can someone please help me even if you just point me in a direction.

Thank you
Juan

I can't help with S African retail advice, but I will say to do a youtube search. There are a lot of instructional videos about DIY tanks, and you should be able to get all the info you need.

You'll need at least two more people to help with the construction, managing those sheets will not be easy, especially when they are all siliconed up (I mean wet with uncured silicone)

Look at a tank website, see what specs they use. You may find it hard with a 1.2 width!
I read your size as 2.1 length 1.2 width and 0.8 depth (of water)
That will be HEAVY! Make sure you can fit that size in/out of the building.

Make sure the floor can withstand it. That's 2 ton of water approx plus glass. A quick estimate on glass weight if using 12mm would be in the region of 5-600kg. Then add substrate. I mean, make sure wherever you put it can withstand a 3 ton load and then some (like a safety factor).

Hi.

I currently have a 110l freshwater tank and I want to upgrade to a tank that is about 2.1mx1.2mx0.8m. I have tried to look for second hand tank with about the same dimensions and the places that can custom make me the tank is a bit over my budget.

So I decided why not make it a DIY project... But the problem is the glass , where in South Africa (more specific gauteng) can I find the right thickness glass and what thickness is going to be thick enough?

Can someone please help me even if you just point me in a direction.

Thank you

Juan

Also remember that the pressure of the water on the glass lengthwise will need to be taken into account. If the construction and thickness of the whole tank is not calculated correctly, the longer panels might buckle... (I've seen it)!! [emoji33]

Back
Top Bottom