DIY Glass Top vs Mesh Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a standard 29gal SW tank. I would like to build a top to prevent any jumpers from getting out. I have lighting that is supported by braces on the tank.

Can someone point out the benefits of having a glass top vs. mesh top?

I heard the main difference is glass helps prevent evaporation, is this true? Is there a significant difference?

Anyone have recommendations on good pre-built glass tops?

Gas diffusion is usually the first thing thrown out to why not to use glass tops. I have a feeling that depending on the set up it is likely a way oversold concept and often doesn't have much impact when using open sumps, wet dry filter,s etc....

A nice screen top will virtually disappear where a glass top is more prominent, in my opinion. I think the screen is easier to keep clean and like the fact you can just pour water into the tank for top offs. A quick rinse in the shower and a shake and the screen is ready to go.

Gas diffusion is usually the first thing thrown out to why not to use glass tops. I have a feeling that depending on the set up it is likely a way oversold concept and often doesn't have much impact when using open sumps, wet dry filter,s etc....

A nice screen top will virtually disappear where a glass top is more prominent, in my opinion. I think the screen is easier to keep clean and like the fact you can just pour water into the tank for top offs. A quick rinse in the shower and a shake and the screen is ready to go.

Cool, sounds like screen is the way to go.

Regz8000 said:
Metal or plastic are you thinking

I ordered clear plastic with 1/4" holes from bulkreefsupply.com. It was probably overpriced but seems to be good quality.

Back
Top Bottom