diy halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
right iam not sure if this is workable or if iam just being thick.. but if i was to buy one of those security lights people have in thee gardens and mounted them in a frame with some extractor fans for cooling would this work as them things are halide lights arnt they

Just to clarify, you mean that lights that turn on if you walk past them? They are pretty pricey themselves. Wouldn't it just be easier to buy an already-made fixture?

yeah thats the lights i mean mate and that are cheap £8.99 for a 400watt. so i was thinking if i got two. one at each end of my tank then a couple of t5s. the ready built units are like £200

Are you sure it's metal halide and not mecury vapor or quartz/halogen? If it really is a metal halide, the ballast will work but you will have to get different bulbs. I'm pretty sure they won't come with bulbs in the correct color spectrum for an aqaurium.
Also, 400w metal halides put out a ton of heat. Hope you have plans to run a chiller if you decide to use them.

ok so if its mercury vapour or halogen quartz like you mentioned will they not work.. and id need to change bulbs thats ok as it will still work out cheaper and i was gonna add a few cooling fans would that be ok

Those lights are generally halogen and produce a very nice light with a very high CRI. Apparently in spite of that, they are missing some of the correct wavelengths of light for growing plants. As well a 400 W light would be a bit of a power pig. What are you trying to light?

thanks for the help iam trying to find the cheapest and best way to light my 125l reef tank id like a nem at somepoint so need lights for that

125 LITRE tank? or 125 gallon tank? If it's litre you should be able to find a T5 fixture that can support most corals and even an anemone for not much money.

Back
Top Bottom