DIY Help - 30 Gallon Refugium/Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuyeWinfield

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,
So I am going to attempt a "DIY" refugium/sump for my tank. The one that came with my tank is just not working for me. I am not sure why it was previously setup this way and I have had nothing but problems with returning the water back to the tank. It either drains too fast, pumps to fast, adding a filter pad messes the entire calibration up, etc. I want to do it right, because this one doesnt seem like a lot of effort was put in to it.

Okay, so to start off, I am buying a 30 gallon tank (30x12x19). My tank has 3 drains. Primary, secondary, and an emergency drain. The primary and secondary both have valves to control the water flow. Right now, the tank has all three drains going to one side of the refugium, but i'd like to change that. I want to have the primary and emergency to the left side and the secondary to the right side. This way I can put my protein skimmer on one side and the refugium on the other. Since i have valves on both drains, I can control how much water goes to each section. I'd like to have the return section in the middle. Water would drain down on the left for the refugium and then drain into the return sections. Water would also drain down on the right side for the protein skimmer and then drain into the return section.

Does anyone have any advice on what size baffles I should get and how i should set them up? I have an idea of what i want to do, but i just want to make sure that it all makes sense to the tenured reef experts out there. Let me know what you think?

Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't put the return in the middle. It should be on one side. Skimmer -> refugium -> return.

crister13 said:
I wouldn't put the return in the middle. It should be on one side. Skimmer -> refugium -> return.

Agreed 100%. i looked into doing a very similar setup on my 125 before and ended up just ditching the plans, got too complicated and problematic. Id def recommend going with the tried and true design that crister pointed out.

GuyeWinfield said:
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with with the skimmer, fuge, return design. As stated, A LOT EASIER! :) Ha!

Good to here:) the benefits dont really out weigh the extra time and money anyways

Back
Top Bottom