DIY Hexagon hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Youngstownfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! So I've acquired a 20 gal hex tank but it came without a hood or any lighting for the tank.

Has anyone made a wooden hood or any decent looking DIY lighting for hex tanks? Thank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a planted tank and the depth of the tank is 21" and those LEDs aren't able to grow the plants from that high up :(

What are the dimensions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dimensions from inside rim:

6 sides, each 8-3/4"

15-1/4" across

20-1/2" from top to bottom of tank.

Lights currently sit about 3" above tank on plate glass.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406587840.340186.jpg

Do you want to upgrade lighting or just make a lid?

That hood is what I'm shooting for but I want to know if someone has plans of one they have built before or any tips on how to make a hood even if it isn't like the one in attached pic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406588185.197610.jpg

Measure the dimensions of your hexagon. After you do this, get a protractor, marker, and plywood. Then draw it on. What you want to do then is cut it out. After that, measure the side length of the hexagon. Then you will want to cut out three or six pieces of wood with a length of the side length and the a height of 1-2 inches. Then you want to wood glue them onto the side of the hexagon(it is important that you glue it to the side of the hexagon of wood and not on the face) and it will work as a hood. that should sit on it pretty well. You could get away with only three of the pieces of wood because you will only need three to hold it on place. Just glue the three pieces to the side and leave a 1 side space between each one. Then you can cut/drill large holes in so light comes in.

Or what you do is you make two trapezoids with the short base being the length of the sides and the long base being the distance between parallel sides. Then you want to cut out 4 rectangles the length of your side. Then cut a piece that is 2 inches longer than a side, and 1 inch thick.

Then glue the two rectangles where the arrows are >/===\<. Do that for the other trapezoid too. Then you want to put them on your tank and bridge them with the strips that are 2 inches longer than the side and 1 inch wide. So while it is on your tank and fitting snuggly, glue the rectanges to against the edge of the top of hexagon so that you have adequate space for your lighting.

Dimensions from inside rim:

6 sides, each 8-3/4"

15-1/4" across

20-1/2" from top to bottom of tank.

Lights currently sit about 3" above tank on plate glass.

View attachment 244754

So, here is your cut list:

6 - rectangles 8.75 inch x 1 inch (these will be what holds the hood in place by being positioned on the outside of the tank)

2 - isosceles trapezoids with a 15.25 inch long base, a 8.75 inch short base, and 8.75 inch sides (the "base" are the parallel sides of the trapezoid)

2 - rectangles 1 inch x 10 inches

You will also need wood glue and silicon. You can use silicon instead of wood glue but make sure you apply it generously if you do.

Steps:

1. Place your trapezoids on the ground and wood glue the 8.75 inch long rectangles to the 8.75 inch sides and bases of the trapezoids. Let that cure (12-24 hours).
2. Once done, silicon the gaps on the edges. Smooth with finger and let that cure (2-4 hours)
3. Scrape off excess silicon.
4. Position the trapezoids with the 15.25 inch bases, 8.75 inches away from each other.
5. Glue the 10 inch rectangles to the trapezoids to form a bridge. Do so as close as possible to the side for optimal space for lighting.

Good luck with the DIY hood!

Don't use silicone instead of wood glue... it won't take stain/finish.. you'll need a miter saw for those cuts and clamps or a finish nailer.. hand nailing is an option too but a pita.. I'd take a piece of cardboard and lay it atop the tank and trace it. This will be your template for ply and short points of cuts. When I have complicated angles and cuts I try to trace or scribe as much as pissible.. not that i dont use tape measures, it just simplifies everything to scribe.. YouTube should offer some good tutorials on basic carpentry as well.. feel free to post pics for comments along the way..

Any time. :)

I agree with the cardboard tracing thing, especially since a hexagon can be a rather difficult shape to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom