DIY hob filter baffle with craft mesh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feralhound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I know there are so many ways to baffle a hob filter, and just thought I'd share one that I've had work the best for me. I haven't seen this before so if it's been done before- well it works wonders, especially if you have a low water line haha.

Having bettas for a while I used to try and baffle my hob filters- the water bottle method, kitchen sponge (don't do it! They disintegrate!), and they eventually all fall apart. The water bottle worked best for me, but my water line was near the rim of the tank.
Now it's been a while since I had bettas, but I needed to find a baffle for my Aquaclear 70 that was pushing around my two fancy Goldies. Not only was the current strong, but because I have then in a rubbermade container (long story short, I got them from someone who gave me them in their 5gallon "home" >.<) I couldn't fill the water all the way to the top since it bowed so badly. So not only was I getting an outrageous current, but the noise was ridiculous.

Obviously in this situation the water bottle not aquarium sponge method wasn't going to work. For a while I was shoving artificial aquarium plans into the output, and that helped a lot and actually gave my tank more aeration- but the filter would end up pushing them out, or they would fall apart even when I tied them.

So, tried a couple things with some craft mesh and this has by far worked the best (also the craft mesh doesn't have to be this long- I may trim it, but right now I'm not worried about it).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464635152.661071.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464635174.562602.jpg
The key is to have it laying on the output at such an angle that the water flow pretty much "rides" the craft mesh all the way down into the display tank. I used ribbon to weave into the mesh and tie to my media basket, but I'm sure if you don't have a media basket you can just loop it over the filter media tab. I'm sure there are other ways you can attach it, super glue or something- I personally didn't want to make it permanent.

I can now hear myself think, plus Finnick and Gilleon are happy campers once again able to merrily swim around without a whirlpool to compete with.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464635218.184029.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What a clever solution for HOB filters!
It may also discourage fish that like to jump "upstream" into the filter box.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good Idea!

I use that stuff for all kinds of fishy things!
it also works great as a cover that lets in light and air but keeps fish in.
It is cross-stitch plastic canvas in case anybody wants to know. I get it at joannes and it comes in different colors and different mesh sizes.

Back
Top Bottom