DIY HOB protein skimmer listed suggestions.. which is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well after completing my lighting project at the moment and waiting for a friend to come in at 2 am.. I decided to venture into a DIY protein skimmer that I will need when I get back from winter break.. so might as well think about it now so I can build it while over there 8)

Of the ones I've seen I am interested in this one

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900d.htm

but have a question... the motor pulling in water and air goes through the tube and does its thing.. but is the water able to leave the protein skimmer by the sheer movement by the powerhead, without overflowing the protein skimmer? I mean I think it does but I don't understand how the water goes down the outlet tube, then rises all thw ay up, and then spills back into the tank... it almost feels like a second motor would have to do it. Also what do you think of the skimmer.. good bad? Other suggestions would be appreciated :D

hehe now that I think of it I am just going to do what biotoxin did, it would be retarded not to considering my dad does acrylics as an occupation! That and this design looks a lot simpler and should do well for a FOWLR tank...

its really not that hard. just decide if you want spray injection, venturi or airstone. About 3/16" acrylic for the box and 1/2" pvc inlet and 3/4" outlet and youre set. Depending on the size you want to match a powerhead to it that keeps it at the right levels. Ill be testing my nano aquac skimmer this weekend, cant wait :)

The one i did for my cpr clone uses an aquaclear 201 @ 165gph. My latest for my nano remora skimmer uses a maxijet 900

Back
Top Bottom