DIY hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a ten gallon planted tank but all the lights I can find aren't strong enough for growing the plants and so right now I have a make shift cover for the tank. Image1498760696.183760.jpg

Does anybody have any suggestions for a cheap diy lid or a suggestion for a light.

Any help will be appreciated. [emoji16]

If you prefer glass tops, a few calls to local glass/window shops can go a long way in saving some cash (some of them in my area don't deal with non-commercial customers). I had 2 pieces of glass cut to dimensions I provided for about 18$ US. Any of the 'aquarium tops' I looked at were 35+ and wouldn't allow me to position the HOB filter on the side of the tank. Just make sure you ask for 'swiped edges' so they aren't sharp (y)

Do you have a habitat for humanity store? Windows are cheap and easy

Lol! I use a cookie baking sheet pan on my 10 gallon hospital tank. Lol! Yours being planted I'd find an old window or Plexiglas and cut it to fit. Glass cutters are a few bucks.

Egg crate light defuser All purpose topper easy to work with and cheap

img_2670622_2_228702a9abbdca1ff7727c60d23bcfb2.jpg

you can cut out lid doors and filter locations easily

img_2670622_3_3a6eb0cd7f5c6c8b07f6002139f8c630.jpg

Tank Top

While the light diffuser will keep jumpers in the tank, it won't keep heat in. Your heater will have to work longer and harder. Plastic (plexiglas) cut at Lowell's looks like a solution but will warp with warn tank temperatures. Been there done that. Glass cut to size, IMO, is the answer. Good tip on Habitat store windows or tanks bought at 1$ per gal sale and demoed. Also good tip on sanded edges on glass top piece. A good handle for the glass is one or two clear plastic, self-adhesive, table leg or chair leg bottom floor cushion. you can find them 1/4"-1/2" tall. Good luck. :fish1:

The "handles" will hang on quite a while, I never had one fail. You will probably find them in a 10 or more pack so what if one comes loose after some use, put another one on. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom