Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

5mm High-Brightness Ultraviolet LED (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Those are the ones I bought, but I've also had luck with these blue ones...

4-Pin High Brightness Blue Power LED - RadioShack.com

I really suggest buying LEDs online, as they're MUCH cheaper, I was just lazy, but if you haven't started the project yet, it's a perfect time.

Also, it seems like my fans might be messing with the rest of my circuit, I might have to wire them up some other way. For now I'm just going to remove them out of the circuit so I can get the moonlighting working.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you need the fans? Do LED's put off heat?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Na, I don't NEED the fans. They were an afterthought. Anyway, after struggling with the LED "sensor" for the past 6 hours... I've decided it's not going to work. I don't know why I put myself through misery to try to make something do what it wasn't made to do. I just ordered a freaking phototransistor (it detects light) to tell whether the light is on or off. Who knows when it'll be here, but I'm not going to try to use the LED anymore. There are just too many variables, and it's just not precise enough. For example, I had the sunset working PERFECTLY for about an hour and a half. I bumped the LED, and it didn't work anymore. I just placed the order for the phototransistors, so hopefully they'll be here next week. But until then, I'm taking a break. I'd be glad to answer any questions you guys have though.

Of course, don't let this put any of you off this project. If I were to do this again, I'd simply incorporate what's called a RTC, or "real time clock". Basically, it tells time, then you could tell your lights when to go on and off, instead of basing things off of when the normal lights go off. I probably could have ordered that instead, but I've never used one, and I didn't feel like figuring it out right now. I will eventually though.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have any pictures of the blues in contast with the UV ones? I'm really interested, but im not sure what i want yet. Also am i reading this right that they pull 3.2-3.8v?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll get some pics for you whenever it starts workin Jimbo. Although it's REALLY hard to take pics of the purple because the camera doesn't like those wavelengths of light. (It looks blue through the lens) Maybe it'll look more natural on video camera. I dunno, give me a few days.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

all the complex electronics are a nice contrast to the hand cut dovetail.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alrighty guys, the parts came today. I'll hook them up tonight!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eagerly awaiting the results!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Eagerly awaiting the results!
Ugh programming is a pain.... I still have to work the timing out, so it won't be "finished" until I get that right, however long that takes, but I'll have a timelapse vid up on sunday. The only thing that could be wrong is the timing, meaning the sunrise lights could come on hours before the actual lights come on, but after one night, I'll be able to do some calculations and make pretty educated guesses on what the delays should be changed to.

I did, however, see the sunrise lights come on when I was testing earlier, they look.... AWESOME!!! I was SO excited when I saw it. The three LEDs I used light the tank up fully, but not extremely brightly, it's perfect. But you guys will just have to wait until sunday

EDIT: Oh and the phototransistors I bought... work perfectly. It's so much easier when you use something the way it was supposed to be used. lol
Old 07-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sunday it is then.

Tags
12 gallon, 2 gallon, diy, diy hood, hood, light, lights, moving, sunset

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com