DIY Hoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Needing a little advice on projects to upgrade a couple of tank hoods in the near future. I suppose I'm a fairly competent all-around DIY'er, but this will involve water and electricity in close proximity, so mistakes are going to be pretty much verboten, at least from a fishy health standpoint! :fish2:

There's no shortage of design ideas available, but my biggest worry is the aforementioned lighting issue. I want to re-use a pair of LED modules that seem to provide plenty of light and been working great for almost a year now over the big tank. They look like this:

LED's.jpg

Mounting and integrating them into the new hood should pose little problem, except I'm not sure what if any, separation or water barrier is required. They presently sit atop a crappy glass cover that's got to go. I guess my questions are: Do I need to make a plexi or polycarbonate surround barrier to shield them from moisture inside the new hood as they are now above the glass top?

I thought maybe a couple small fan extractors would do the trick, or maybe just RTV'ing the assembly cracks around the units. Dunno.

I like to keep things simple, but never at the expense of safety. TIA!

You guys are just waiting to see how long it takes to electrocute myself, aren't you! :lol:

Still thinking :)

Just checking but there is a glass top between the water and lights? Kind of out my field as always gone safe. Couple of fish shops here that ring a bell on this but rare to go to now.

Last edited:
Electric-Shock-Cartoon.png

I used to have a tank with a wooden hood and the light was mounted on the inside
and it was exposed to moisture , and it rusted till it fell apart , yes I'd figure find some sort of barrier.

...and it rusted till it fell apart
Yes, this is what I'm anticipating. :rolleyes: And even with mitigation, I suspect equipment lifespan will be shortened by the environment.

So I'm going a different direction with 1/4" Lexan. The big issue for me is having a top opening larger than what you get with the standard glass tops. I have some large pieces of driftwood that simply don't fit through the openings. It makes cleaning a real PITA.

I use a router to cut a groove around the hood, I then slide a piece of glass into that groove, that way the lights are shielded from water.

There is a rabbet cut also, to rest the hood on the tank's frame

I use a router to cut a groove around the hood, I then slide a piece of glass into that groove, that way the lights are shielded from water.

There is a rabbet cut also, to rest the hood on the tank's frame
I imagined something like that would be the right way to do it, Wish I was a more skilled woodworker.

Back
Top Bottom