DIY idea for light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to get decent lighting for my 90 gallon without spending a :butt: load. I saw a 2x110 watt T-12 fixture for $50 at lowes and was thinking of somehow incorporating it into a diy hood. The only problem is, is that my tank is 76" and the light is 96". I looked around and couldn't find anything comparable with the wattage in a smaller size. So, do you think it would look crappy having it hang out a foot on each side? Or any ideas on how to "mask" it into looking better? Or does anyone know of any other ways to get comparable wattage for cheap? TIA

Personally I think it would be butt ugly to have light s hanging out that much, plus you are losing 1/4 or the light.

You can try 3 - 2x36 T12 shoplights - here in Canada, Canadian tires has them for about 20 each (HD about 35). The ones I've seen are fairly narrow (about 4") so you can prob fit 3 into the canopy. They are 48" long so you'll need to stagger them for more even coverage.

Failing that, you can try a mix of 4' T12 & 2' T8 (have never seen 2' T12).

Also check out PC kits from www.ahsupply.com - they are suprisingly affordable.

yeah, I think it would probably look pretty bad too. I'll look around for the 2x36 48" fixtures. Actually just 2 would work for about 2.4 wpg. Maybe get a single tube 36 watt for a third? I don't remember if they had them or not, I'll double check. (Probably a canada only thing with my luck) As for ah supply, it would cost just as much to buy whole light fixtures new for the size and wattage I need.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom