Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to David14259
Originally Posted by vic
Most of the DIY reactors/diffusers that I have scene have the water inflow at the top of the reactor with the CO2 in. The tank return line is at the bottom. The theory being that forcing the CO2 down wards through the diffuser will result in enhanced and quicker diffusion.
I believe what you described is exactly how this works. The water flows from the top to the bottom of the reactor. The Co2 is injected at the top of the reactor, and pushed downward by the flowing water. The CO2 is 100% diffused into the water as no bubbles make it out of the bottom of the reactor.

Wow! Using Sparky's reactor, I'm getting the same CO2 level in my tank with HALF the bubble rate that I had to use before!!

My Tank: 20 Gallon Freshwater High Tech Planted
My Plants: Dwarf Sagittaria, Riccia, Crypt Lutea, Rotala Macandra, Corkscrew Val, Blyxa Japonica, Ambulia, Anubias Nana, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Echinodorus Parviflorus.
My Fish: 1 German Gold Ram, 3 Praecox Rainbows, 1 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Rummynose Tetra, 4 Cherry Barbs
My Inverts: Ramshorn Snails, Apple Snails.
David14259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone tried this w/ nylon pot scrubbers instead of bioballs (they're cheaper)?

squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
Sliced Bread

Should work. The whole point of the bioballs is to provide a media to break up any bubbles of CO2 that get in, and to provide some turbulance to cause the bubbles to dissolve. With that in mind, I'd think pretty much anything would work.
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks awesome. Can you post a list of stuff you someone would need so we can make sure we get it all at the hardware store in one trip?
I'm selling in line co2 diffusers. If you're interested in buying one PM me.
hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Where did you get the Clear PVC? Places I checked sell it online in 10' sections (cut in half) and is expensive. Have not seen it local Home Depot -Lowes etc...
I also like the clear idea to see whats going on!
Thanks --
Cliffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by hulkamaniac
Looks awesome. Can you post a list of stuff you someone would need so we can make sure we get it all at the hardware store in one trip?
I will sit down and post a list for you later this evening.

Where did you get the Clear PVC?
You are exactly right, I purchased a 10' piece. I needed two of them for myself and had 3-4 other people that wanted them made as well so I decided to go into production.
"...but the guy at the LFS said I needed it!"
SparKy697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Hey people

I think I'll have a dip at this.... Sounds like fun.

Re: the adhesive that you have used to stick on the PVC to the clear tube, I need some help.

I assume that you have used a plumbing type product. Obviously (??) it will be under pressure... so I imagine this needs to be taken into account. I went to the hardware store and found:

* green pvc pipe cement designed for pvc under pressure. as opposed to the blue stuff for "normal" use
* pink primer (not purple) used for under pressure situations (what is this?)

So I gather you're supposed to use the pink primer, then follow it up with the green cement.

but the primer has the ingredient Methyl Ethyl Ketone in it. I understand it to be toxic so I'm not prepared to risk using it on my tank.

So I'm stuck on what sort of glue/adhesive I can uise. I'm also a complete DIY n00b and have no idea about building materials and products, so sorry if I don't understand everything.

Can anyone offer a little help/advice? What brands/products can be used safely?
Sharon : Melbourne, Australia
Me on Twitter
4x4x2 FW planted | 15g FW planted | 3.5g FW planted pico
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
well this sounds liek a perfect project for me. I actually work in the plumbing department at lowes...so I am painfully familiar with all this stuff. lol
jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
I doubt ill get a response as this thread is over a year old, just wodering what size of brass barb you used for the co2 inlet? I plan on doing the same thing but instead of all the couplings im just going to cap the pvc and drill holes to glue to thread tape the water inlet outlet barbs. and im not using pvc but abs. and as the thread above mentioned the abs cement does contain that toxic chemical.. but all the oatley cements sealents etc have that so im assuming its safe.

75g Of Big Bad Green & Fish.

The Past Is History, The Future Is A Mystery, Today Is A Gift, Thats Why They Call It The Present.
dmoney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
use whatever size you need to, to fit the tubing you have to deliver the co2.

If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is online now   Reply With Quote

co2, diy, line, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com