Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY inline heater?

Anyone ever try making one of these? Seems like it would be pretty straight forward, just find a piece of PVC big enough to fit your heater then cut a hole for the top of it to stick out and silicone/epoxy around the top.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Actually, I don't think it would be quite that easy. I was thinking of different ways to do it, but couldn't find a way where you wouldn't end up with a mess, lol. The closest I could come is mounting a heater through the top of a DIY Canister filter. But then, if you lose water in the canister, might be bad news for the heater.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you get an auto shutoff heater then you should have no problems putting it into a DIY canister filter, but I wouldn't recommend making one that big. The pressure going through the container would probably make it leak open in one spot or another so making it easy to clean yet air tight would be nearly impossible. And if you used an auto shutoff heater in CapnIgnit's idea it would be harder to adjust the temperature or get to if you had problems. And would the water flowing past it be enough to register it as "in water"?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well when I look at my DIY co2 reactor the water fills up the entire chamber. While there is a large current going through it, I'm pretty confident it would register it as being in the water.

and as for adjusting it, that shouldn't be very difficult as I plan to have the top of the heater sticking out of the PVC sealed off with some marine epoxy.

MSPAINT TIME!

The only questions I have are size concerns. I know that the caps on the PVC pipe's make a V shape so I would need to measure out where to cut the whole. Plus I don't know if there is enough room for a circle to be cut out of that size in the cap.

Anywho, just some thoughts as it would be nice to take the heater out of the tank.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It sounds like it will work, but it'll be hard. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just fork over the $30 for a Hydro in-line heater.

your biggest issue will be sealing the top of the heater to the PVC. silicone adhesive won't stick to the heater, and PVC glue won't work well either.
at best you could use marine epoxy and 'hope' that it seals well, doesn't break and then flood your cabinet with water.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I changed my idea around a little, here are the pictures! (sorry for the crap camera quality)

As you can see I am drilling out the top to slide in my heater and will epoxy it in place.

Was about $12 for all the piping plus the heater cost (I think around $14 from big al's). So about $10 savings over the hydor unit.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thing is most of the water will go through unheated, IMO. If you look at how inline heaters are designed, the water spirals around the heater core. That is how they are set up. But let us know how it goes.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfblue
Another thing is most of the water will go through unheated, IMO. If you look at how inline heaters are designed, the water spirals around the heater core. That is how they are set up. But let us know how it goes.
That thought has crossed my mind. I'm debating if I will want to put in partitions of some sort to make the water move around more inside. My hope is that with the input and output being alternated like this it will cause a lot of aggitation in the water. I also have some other idea's on ways of improving it.

In any case, I'll see how it works out by this weekend.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The way the input and output could make it more effective, yes. I didn't realize that til you mentioned it. Would give the water a bit of a back and forth movement.

Tags
diy, eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com