I couldn't think of a good title for this - any ideas?
I posted this in a thread in FW
General Discussion where this was being discussed, but thought it might be good to post here too.
I, along with others, was finding fish stuck to the intake of my XP3 canister intake strainer and worried that the force of the XP3 was just too strong for my little tetras. Granted, there may have been other issues with the fish being weak, but this was a cheap, easy way to help alleviate the problem.
I crafted this from a single small sheet of that plastic needlepoint stuff you can get at any local craft store. The sheets come in all colors, and only cost me 41 cents (with tax!). I used this over foam as I still wanted the intake to have the capability of taking in some of the larger particles.
Other than the sheet of needlepoint, all I used was a pair of scissors and some fishing line.
I cut the sheet to size, then using the fishing line, tied it to form a cylinder to the size I wanted. I used about 1/2" larger radius than my intake strainer size. I then cut 2 squares and tied them to the top and the bottom to fully enclose the new cage, then rounded the square parts to match with the cylinder.
Then, on the top, I snipped out a hole just smaller then the size of the intake tube. After complete, I just forced the intake tube through the hole. By having it like this I was able to center the intake inside the cage and have it remain in place.
Here are some pics