DIY intake cage to keep fish from getting sucked in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
I couldn't think of a good title for this - any ideas?

I posted this in a thread in FW General Discussion where this was being discussed, but thought it might be good to post here too.

I, along with others, was finding fish stuck to the intake of my XP3 canister intake strainer and worried that the force of the XP3 was just too strong for my little tetras. Granted, there may have been other issues with the fish being weak, but this was a cheap, easy way to help alleviate the problem.

I crafted this from a single small sheet of that plastic needlepoint stuff you can get at any local craft store. The sheets come in all colors, and only cost me 41 cents (with tax!). I used this over foam as I still wanted the intake to have the capability of taking in some of the larger particles.

Other than the sheet of needlepoint, all I used was a pair of scissors and some fishing line.

I cut the sheet to size, then using the fishing line, tied it to form a cylinder to the size I wanted. I used about 1/2" larger radius than my intake strainer size. I then cut 2 squares and tied them to the top and the bottom to fully enclose the new cage, then rounded the square parts to match with the cylinder.

Then, on the top, I snipped out a hole just smaller then the size of the intake tube. After complete, I just forced the intake tube through the hole. By having it like this I was able to center the intake inside the cage and have it remain in place.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• img_3110_170.jpg
    img_3110_170.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 240
  • img_3109_189.jpg
    img_3109_189.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 191
  • img_3108_792.jpg
    img_3108_792.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 204
  • img_3107_310.jpg
    img_3107_310.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 236
That's a great project - seems like it will do just what you have in mind. Good pics and a good explanation about how you did it too!

Heh, I was going to make this today for my HOB filter but you beat me to it. Good job btw. :)

Good job! It looks like it will work like a charm.

This is a good, cheap and easy solution to a very common problem. Well done!

See what you started...LOL
img_777769_0_8123d9559539cfe5349af55590c2e27f.jpg

I wasn't worried about the suction as much as I was clogging the overflow...
Great idea...
Thanks again

I'll add that to the project list...LOL

"Light bulb" someone here was talking about nylon screen to separate their substrate...
or maybe a back panel for moss wall...or a moss cave...ooh wait ...my mother uses this stuff all the time....maybe she could make me a python cozy...LOL

redswi said:
See what you started...LOL
img_778444_0_8123d9559539cfe5349af55590c2e27f.jpg

I wasn't worried about the suction as much as I was clogging the overflow...
Great idea...
Thanks again

Your ends look nicer. How did you assemble everything?

I cheated...
They make this stuff in different shapes...We have a whole box of it left over from a craft project my wife started (keyword - started...LOL)...I used circles for the ends (for making coasters), and sewed it all with braided fish line (I got a sample spool from spiderwire)

Ahh I see. I still haven't made mine. Been busy the last two days making a DIY light canopy.

Back
Top Bottom