Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
DIY labyrinth aquarium.

I want to make this one my own as a fun project but have some concerns. I am planning on using Acrylic fish bowls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	250105

1)what fish do well in a small bowl (5gallon)?

2)how to run an external water pump to move the water around thru one of the bowls?

3) any tips??

JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
betta fish will do grate

lilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
A small nano-sized power head would help the water to circulate. Assuming you plan a complete roughly circular path around the tanks, water being pushed into one tunnel would force the water in the whole setup to move. Decorations would help keep the water churning (so to speak) so parts won't get stagnant. Just keep the pump well under the water level to prevent microbubbles from flowing through and getting caught in the different sections.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by lilme View Post
betta fish will do grate
In this tank setup, bettas would be the worst possible choice. They could get trapped in the lower tanks and not be able to get to oxygen and suffocate.

Are you planning on this being one level of connected tanks? Or multiple tiers?
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Eagerly anticipating an update. I've always loved these tanks and thought they must be great for fish as they could really move around. I think I would go for fewer tanks that are larger though, might be easier to clean, easier to manufacture and easier to control ( and probably better for the fish too).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
SNorlin is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com