Diy Led?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone done any research on DIY LED lighting?

I have a few companies bookmarked, and the industry makes a UV LED.. would a spotlight type of light be beneficial to the tank at all? Or a small strip light to supplement PC/actinic lighting?

I know very few people that can afford and are willing to spend 4k on the LED light that is out there. Maybe someone knows of a possible compromise?

They are really not cost effective for the consumer , there has been some heated debate as to the use of all leds on a reef tank , with spectrial shift ect .. They run cooler and cost less to fire up but to diy for any tank over 2 gallons would be quite expensive . If you are looking for a moon light then yes a diy of 5 or 6 leds would be cost effective and not that expensive as you would not really need to worry about spectrum

I have moonlights.. I was just wondering if it would be feasable to use as supplemental lighting.

Like this... http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/hou/HE1033.htm

That particular bulb plugs into a regular light socket, and wouldn't need to buy additional converters (like I have with the moonlights.)

So the *popular* LED light bar isn't all that? All that money, and the spectrum still isn't healthy for reef tanks?

Anyway.. just thought I'd ask :D

Naw not really worth much more than a moon light as you would need to do something with a bit of a staggared look and the K would need to be spot on ...And for the size of your tank it would not really suppliment it . Sorry I could not bring brighter news to you :( Go ahead and ask away thats what these boards are for ... :)

Ah, ok.. I can always hope. I wondered why no one talked about them here. I guess I can get some white ones for that shimmery sunlight effect. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom