Alright, Super Busy Night!
I don't know what I was smoking, but I saw that the Star (Mounting) for the LED
was 13mm wide... Turns out it was 20mm wide, which was way to big to fit on my heatsync because there is a tiny lip on it.
I took a risk, and "clipped" part of the heat sync off with some sidecutters. I tested to ensure that it was still electrically isolated. It was. After clipping all 12 LED
's, 2 of them didn't work. I took a file to the two that didn't work (after they were pre-tinned) and was able to fix them up.
They are now glued to my heatsync via Arctic Silver Adhesive.
Now that they are mounted, I've tested them all with the AA tester. I'm fairly sure I've done permenant damage to my eyes as there is a green/yellow blob in my vision. I smartened up (a little late) and wired my dimmer switch in so I could stop giving myself welders flash with the LED
's. These suckers are BRIGHT.
My biggest fear now, is that when I wire it all together, the Solder will run over the cut edge and short out. I'm really going to have to be careful when doing this. Everything is now pre-tinned, so I won't have to add any solder. This should help, but I am nervous!
For those of you who are afraid of tackling this yourself due to the soldering aspect... Its actually quite easy. My biggest BIGGEST bit of advice - Don't be impatient, Let your soldering iron heat up fully! (5+ minutes!) Once you get going, then it really only takes 2-3 seconds per Terminal to pre-tin. Also, Make sure you get a solder with a rosin core. I had a bit without it, and it just did NOT want to stick. I realzed after 1 LED
and switched to the rosin core, and it went so much faster.
Also... Ventilate. I've got a killer headache right now, and its 100% because of soldering inside my apartment.