Diy led light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Started in building a led light for my girlfriends beta. Didn't want to build something real fancy and exit expensive. This is just a test trial. I'll make it look a little better once I get it all set up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130826_163026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130826_163026.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 236
be careful with the amount of power youre pushing through your leds. they don't take kindly to surges or spikes in power and will burn out easily if not properly powered

I was kind of worried about that but since it just a 6volt battery and the led is made for a lantern I didn't think there would be a problem. Plus all that was like $4

I was speaking more in terms of when you decide to try a bigger diy led setup. Id hate to see you spend the money to make a full blown led setup only to have it get fried by a spike in power

Oh no I wasn't planning on upscaling. It's for a beta tank so I don't need anymore than that one light. I'll make it look a little better than that pic. I just wanted to make sure the 6v would work with the led light

This is the finished project. Just got to put it on the tank next

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_180818.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_180818.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 248
Def a great idea :) I would try to make an enclosure for the battery if you have some materials laying around. Not sure if anything bad would happen, I'm just overly cautious.

Just out of curiosity, did you make the lid, or is that the lid for the tank and you just installed the light?

No that was the lid that came to the tank. So far the light is working great!! The cheap 6 volt battery lasted easily 2-3 weeks

Where did you buy the LED?
I really want to make a little one for my boyfriends Beta, but the only LEDs I've found are large strings and it's too small for that :(

Also some non chain hardware stores have small LED bulbs for flashlights and lanterns! I'm a big pusher of family owned and small businesses! :) I know my family's store has them for a couple of dollars for 2

Back
Top Bottom