Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

DIY led lighting

I plan on upgrading from my t5s to LEDs in early march and I wanted to get a jump start on picking the best ones for my tank. I have a long (48in) 55 gallon mixed reef tank. While looking on rapidled.com I saw a kit that would be perfect for me but no idea of how to install it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2663703268.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	139463

In the description it states that it needs to be plugged in to a reef keeper controller which I do have. What type of driver is better well-eln-60-48d-dimmable-driver or mean-well-eln-60-48p-dimmable-driver/, i know i want dimmable so I really not sure of the difference between 48d/48p. Is there anyone out there who purchased this kit or a similar one and created a thread I can read over. I want to get as much information on this before I make the jump.

Price range is 5-6 if that helps and someone can tell me of a fixture that they recommend instead of going the DIY route. Please keep in mind that I will need two though.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmike7979 View Post
I plan on upgrading from my t5s to LEDs in early march and I wanted to get a jump start on picking the best ones for my tank. I have a long (48in) 55 gallon mixed reef tank. While looking on rapidled.com I saw a kit that would be perfect for me but no idea of how to install it.

In the description it states that it needs to be plugged in to a reef keeper controller which I do have. What type of driver is better well-eln-60-48d-dimmable-driver or mean-well-eln-60-48p-dimmable-driver/, i know i want dimmable so I really not sure of the difference between 48d/48p. Is there anyone out there who purchased this kit or a similar one and created a thread I can read over. I want to get as much information on this before I make the jump.

Price range is 5-6 if that helps and someone can tell me of a fixture that they recommend instead of going the DIY route. Please keep in mind that I will need two though.
Whichever way you go i reccommend if your doing sps tank to add uv just blue and white will not help sps coral color sps needs uv for color if doin lps then blue and whites are sufficient

Old 12-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blue and white works fIne for Sps. Uv is only really adding coloration .
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
Blue and white works fIne for Sps. Uv is only really adding coloration .
Uv adds no color to a coral thats what the blues do
Uv is what causes sps to have bright colors they do this in order to reflect the light to protect themselve which is why mh are used for sps tanks because of the uv content some
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have some nice sps that I want to color up so ill get some uv but have you put any of these kits together?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmike7979 View Post
I have some nice sps that I want to color up so ill get some uv but have you put any of these kits together?
I have not but my friend who own woos aquatics ( coral can be seen on ebay) under ( wa live coral ) plug lol he put an acro under leds without uv and the same acro under leds with uv and the color became super bright under uvs i have no experience on the build he says took about an hour i can see where he got the material from if your interested pm me
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So which part of me saying uv helps coloration is wrong?
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
So which part of me saying uv helps coloration is wrong?
You said blues and whites were fine for sps i was disagreeing if you put say a very healthy red planet acro under only blue and white leds it will eventually lose some color in its pigment the reason an acro gets the vibrant colors is to reflect uv rays which is why most sps keepers prefer mh over leds unless they have the uv bulbs the uv bulbs do not add color to the look of coral as actinics would rather a uv causes the coral to " color up " or get a brighter pigment
Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

You said blues and whites were fine for sps i was disagreeing if you put say a very healthy red planet acro under only blue and white leds it will eventually lose some color in its pigment the reason an acro gets the vibrant colors is to reflect uv rays which is why most sps keepers prefer mh over leds unless they have the uv bulbs the uv bulbs do not add color to the look of coral as actinics would rather a uv causes the coral to " color up " or get a brighter pigment
Sps will grow under blue and white leds but youll never achieve the best coloration of an sps without uv
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's the list of LEDs that come in the kit wonder if the 6 UVs will be sufficient

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2382732258.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	139565

Tags
diy, led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com